Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NoA improved with 2018.49.20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet. I received firmware 2018.49.20 a few days ago and at first did not notice anything different. However, the first time I used Navigate on Autopilot I noticed that now, after passing a slow car by moving into the high speed lane, the car will ask for confirmation to return to a right hand lane. I think this is new behavior with this version of firmware; at least I had not noticed it before with 2018.48.12. I think it's a welcome improvement and a move in the right direction. However, I found the prompts to return to the right hand lane to be too aggressive. On numerous occasions the car would insist I move to the right and as soon as I complied it would then want to go right back to the passing lane because there were still slow cars in the slow lane. It's a needed improvement, but it could still use some tweaking. Anybody else notice this change?

Did a road trip on 48.20 over the weekend and noticed 2 items:
  • Speed limit was 75. We encountered a driver how stayed in the passing lane, driving 80-82 most of the time, and slowing down to 70 whenever passing a long line of cars, forcing vehicles beside and behind that vehicle to slow down significantly whenever passing. So when approaching a long line of trucks, I temporarily accelerated to 90 for a few seconds to get in front of this vehicle, while running under NOAP - which immediately disabled AutoSteer and NOAP for the rest of the trip. Next time we need to temporarily increase speed, will exit AutoSteer/NOAP - and then re-enable when returning back to the desired highway speed.
  • After AutoSteer/NOAP was disabled, while running only on TACC - encountered multiple instances when the AP software believed their was an obstruction ahead and started rapid slowing, in the middle of high speed traffic. In each case, this appeared to be caused by shadows across the road - with the sun in a cloudless sky late in the afternoon. Could have been a combination of the sun position and the shadows causing this.
Other than that 48.20 seemed to work as well as the previous version we've been running for a few months.

I finally got the NoAP feature today. I had a map update that was stuck in wifi delay but the Nashville SC forced it through. I used the NoAP during my drive back to Memphis. For the most part it worked great. Every now and then it would prompt me to return the right lane while another vehicle was in the shown path. I just ignored the prompt until the lane was clear. The automatic exit function worked flawlessly. The car exited from I40 to I269 and stayed left on the exit like it was supposed to. The car then took the next right to I269 and merged onto I269 with no issues. I was pretty amazed. My car is on 2018.48.12.1.