Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NoA is amazing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from a week vacation in Mississippi. Driving the ~2000 miles from northwest Ohio to Biloxi and back let me see how good NoA really is. I didn't have to disengage it once while on the highway, it didn't camp in the passing lane as much as I was expecting from previous uses. I was actually really impressed, and it made the drive bearable and I was much less tired than when I would take similar trips without any AP. I would say that I drove less than 50 of these miles. That was only when we got off on exits to charge and take a break.

I'm not sure if Tesla can achieve L5, and maybe super cruise works on all of those highways now (hands free would be nice), but overall, I'm super impressed and I don't think any other vehicle could give nearly the same experience, which at the end of the day is what really matters.

I just got back from a week vacation in Mississippi. Driving the ~2000 miles from northwest Ohio to Biloxi and back let me see how good NoA really is. I didn't have to disengage it once while on the highway, it didn't camp in the passing lane as much as I was expecting from previous uses. I was actually really impressed, and it made the drive bearable and I was much less tired than when I would take similar trips without any AP. I would say that I drove less than 50 of these miles. That was only when we got off on exits to charge and take a break.

I'm not sure if Tesla can achieve L5, and maybe super cruise works on all of those highways now (hands free would be nice), but overall, I'm super impressed and I don't think any other vehicle could give nearly the same experience, which at the end of the day is what really matters.

With covid, I've not had a chance to do a long trip on NOA in a long time. Good to know it is much better. Thanks for sharing.

Did you take I71 from Columbus to Cleveland? I've driven on that road several times. NOA handled pretty well for me in the past with a just few issues but curious if NOA is even better on it now.

With NOA being so good, I wonder if Tesla could maybe achieve L3 highway now or maybe even L4 highway soon?

Yes. I would hope that after they finish the rewrite to 4d and roll that into NoA, that they could implement L3 on most highways. Clearly the driving decisions are there, but I'm sure it would currently behave poorly with edge cases such as animals/people entering the road or large potholes that the FSD Beta logic should be able to help tremendously.

Lucky. I turned NoA on when on the way to the beach yesterday and of course one of the first things it does is start a lane merge, then violently pull back into the lane I was originally in. I find that NoA is still often incompetent in lane merge situations which basically makes it unusable for anything outside long boring stretches of freeway between cities.

Lucky. I turned NoA on when on the way to the beach yesterday and of course one of the first things it does is start a lane merge, then violently pull back into the lane I was originally in. I find that NoA is still often incompetent in lane merge situations which basically makes it unusable for anything outside long boring stretches of freeway between cities.
It's weird how different it acts in different areas. One thing I've gotten used to that I used to disengage it with is when it exits and goes quickly to the edge of the off ramp. It doesn't bother me now though because I expect it

I still get phantom braking from time to time, especially without a lead car. I’d say one phantom braking event every 200 miles on highway. Otherwise, navigate on autopilot is useful for me especially in an area that I don’t normally drive. It takes the stress away from figuring out which interchanges or lanes to be in and which exit to take.

Reactions: Microterf
It needs to do things quicker. If it proposes an upcoming lane change (“changing lanes to follow route”), it should change into that lane as soon as it has an open spot to do so instead of waiting until the last minute. Same goes for passing slower traffic, it blinks like 6 times before it actually makes a lane change to over take the slower traffic.

I still get phantom braking from time to time, especially without a lead car. I’d say one phantom braking event every 200 miles on highway. Otherwise, navigate on autopilot is useful for me especially in an area that I don’t normally drive. It takes the stress away from figuring out which interchanges or lanes to be in and which exit to take.
I'm surprised I didn't really get any phantom braking tbh. Now that I think about it, I believe my car saves all of the phantom braking for when my wife is riding with me. If I had $1 for every time I've heard "just drive, this is stupid", I could fund my own FSD research

It needs to do things quicker. If it proposes an upcoming lane change (“changing lanes to follow route”), it should change into that lane as soon as it has an open spot to do so instead of waiting until the last minute. Same goes for passing slower traffic, it blinks like 6 times before it actually makes a lane change to over take the slower traffic.
You can customize how aggressively NoA changes lanes, under Controls > Autopilot > Navigate on Autopilot.

You can customize how aggressively NoA changes lanes, under Controls > Autopilot > Navigate on Autopilot.
That just changes the speed difference between your set speed and the speed of the car ahead of you before the car will attempt to change lanes.

Mad Max is something like 1 mph, and Average is like 5 mph, and whatever the third choice is called is something like 10 mph.

It's really just an adjustment on how quickly the car decides to make the lane change, but does not affect how quickly or aggressive the lane change is once it is started.

I love NoA and use it pretty much as often as I can, but I still can't relax with it. On a recent trip it made the transition from interstate to state road perfectly. It went from NoA (single centered blue line) to autopilot (two blue lines on either side) exactly as expected, and exactly as it told me it would ("NoA ending in 300ft", etc.). Then, after a short amount of regular autopilot, it suddenly changed back to NoA for a split second right as I was passing a side street and immediately forced me to turn off the state road as if it was an exit I needed to take. (I was supposed to stay on the state road for a hundred or so miles).

It was the most bizzare thing to me, just suddenly turning at speed. Never had anything like that happen before or since. Could have been a mapping issue, could have been a GPS hiccup, could have been any number of things. Regardless of the cause, I'm glad I was monitoring. Now I have trust issues. =P

I pretty much never use NoA in my daily Los Angeles commute. I decided to try it on a recent road trip to the Bay Area, and on the first interchange from the 118 to the 405N, it had me in the wrong lane for the transition, so I had to cross a solid white line to make the interchange. Think I switched to regular AP after that.

Reactions: boonedocks
I generally like NoA, but dislike the constant badgering to change lanes for no apparent reason, so I leave it in AP and I can enjoy the lane keeping and speed control but I control the lane to be in.

Just the opposite here. I only have base AP and try to chill in the middle lane... until I come upon a car driving 55 in a 65 when traffic is moving about 75. Soooo anoying! ... and dangerous! They are literally a road hazard.

I would love auto lane change to move around slow drivers.

I agree that it works pretty well now in light to moderate traffic. It's also generally fine in stop and go traffic. I haven't used it much in heavy, but still moving high speed traffic so I can't really comment on that, but it's probably when it has the most trouble.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when it pulls out to pass slower traffic, but then gets stuck in the passing lane. I've noticed that a lot of times this seems to be because of the car you are trying to pass speeding up so you can't complete the pass. I think a lot of drivers do this subconsciously, but for whatever reason it's super annoying.

I think the Mad Max name is really misleading. Normally with a 1MPH differential it pulls out to pass and just rides along next to the slower car blocking the passing lane. I'd much rather have the car slow down behind slower traffic to a point where it would definitely complete the pass when it does to decide to go for it. I use the Average setting, but maybe the setting below that would be even better.

I really wish the car would go slightly above your max set speed when passing and then slow down the set max speed. If you could set a +3 or +5mph for passing that would be ideal.

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner