Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NoA is amazing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's cool that you bought a car a few months ago and had a ton of info about what FSD is and the history on it when you made your purchase.

There are people that paid for FSD in Jan 2017 with a promise that it was only 6 months away and a published full self driving video. Given the company that is "trying to advance technology in many ways" is completely unwilling to have any kind of discussion on a refund for these individuals, and has given multiple timelines that have been completely missed, they do have a valid complaint. Tesla has brought this upon themselves by charging for features ahead of time, not offering FSD transfers to other vehicles, and giving crazy timelines, it's not just people being "counter-productive". People are angry because they were lied to, and because Tesla continues to claim they are very close when they clearly are not.

Remember, this is what was sold in 2016. How would you feel if you paid $8K for this in 2016 and you have what FSD is now, 4.5 years later:

You're reaching all over and placing words into my posts that weren't there. Don't project your views on me. All I said was I paid for FSD when I bought my Model S. I use NoA often and it makes the drive much easier -- I think it was worth it for me to buy it (everyone else gets to make that decision on their own). I made no claims for any owners who did or did not pay for whatever in 2016. If you feel Tesla lied to you and you want a refund, lawyer up and go get it, buddy. Tangential responses to strangers on a forum isn't going to help you get your money back.

• Love
Reactions: EinSV and Microterf
$10,000 on a $37,000 car that comes with AP standard? Huh.

I'm not poor, but that seems a lot for the added working functions that FSD provides over AP as of April 2021. I personally advise buyers to wait.

A 10k option on a 37k car is good clickbait material, sure. But whether this particular 10k option comes on a 37k car or a 150k car is really irrelevant. It is the same feature set and the same value (or lack of) regardless of the car it comes on.

Bottom line is, look at the feature set, decide if it’s worth it for your purposes, move on..

I personally advise buyers to do the following.

Quantifying how much I would pay for each feature helped me decide. I don’t recall my numbers exactly but it went something like this for my situation (Im 99% city driving) red light stopsign stops.. $2000, lane change $2000, noa $1000, self park $1000, summon $1000. That’s $7k in options I would use now and pay $7k for. Since I really want the city driving feature (would pay $4000 for that), and that is likely to come soon (not FSD), that puts the a la carte value to me at $11k. So I bought FSD.

If I moved out of the city, my personal assigned worth to those features would change drastically:
Self park: $100
Summon: $500
Stop sign/lights: $500
Lane change $2000
Noa $1500
Total $4600... so I wouldn’t purchase FSD..

@gearchruncher , I got back from my Florida trip Saturday night. I didn't record the trip, but I did keep a rough count of disengagements. On the way down there, I had 10 disengagements on the highway with one of them coming right as it was going to merge on I-75 and got confused because of the paint. 6 were going through Atlanta, and the other 3 were random times that I didn't feel comfortable or I saw a pothole or something coming up.

On the return trip, I had 5 disengagements. ( I came up I-77 instead of I-75) 2 were because of vehicles entering my lane, 2 were in construction zones that I didn't feel comfortable enough leaving it on with the concrete dividers, and one was to avoid running over a dead animal on the road.

Obviously, this wasn't the same experience as I had on the Mississippi trip, but I'm still impressed. When going through Atlanta, I can definitely see how people who live in more congested areas might find NoA useless.

@Microterf - that is awesome that you came back with another experience and data. Thanks for doing that!
Your second experience sounds more like what most people have- and maybe more shows just how variant the experience can be, and how much based on luck and used case it is. I am glad it works well in some areas.