Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOA lane changing into concrete barrier / walls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's right, it is in beta mode. So it brings up the question : Should a beta product be sold ? Specially now that you don't have the choice to buy it.

I assume you believe Auto makers, and many other industries, should not release anything until its perfect ?

You learned to walk, while in beta mode.:)
The first Model T was beta.
First electric car was beta
The first passenger flight was beta.

All of these things start somewhere and need to be tested and improved. They have glitches and accidents along the way.
That’s how we improve.
If you’re in control, you can likely prevent the accident part.

You realize it isn’t really too realistic to suggest no one release a beta until perfect. ...

I didn't have any NOA issues last night. It did say it was going to change lanes left once, but it was due to a carpool lane onramp on the left side and the upcoming lane change went away before the signal did.

Only other issue was it might have veered into the barrier (swerved over the line) on a sharper turn that it has always made in the past without issue, but that's just an Autopilot issue not NOA. It might have made it but I was going to risk it, and it wasn't taking the turn at cleanly as usual.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I assume you believe Auto makers, and many other industries, should not release anything until its perfect ?

You learned to walk, while in beta mode.:)
The first Model T was beta.
First electric car was beta
The first passenger flight was beta.

All of these things start somewhere and need to be tested and improved. They have glitches and accidents along the way.
That’s how we improve.
If you’re in control, you can likely prevent the accident part.

You realize it isn’t really too realistic to suggest no one release a beta until perfect. ...
I understand that. However, again, the question is, who should pay for the training ?

Quick answer "Of course not" but a poor example. What if I had something that routed the plane around weather in an optimized way except sometimes it goofed? As long as it was easy to correct I would enjoy it but watch over it. Actually, here is a real world aviation case. I have Skywatch which shows aircraft in the area. However, it depends on transponders in the other aircraft. I was in the pattern at Pell City when a yellow Cub cut in front. He did a straight in. No calls or anything. He was wrong for not entering the pattern. However, a Cub has no electrical systems so I am guessing no radio and no transponder (smart owners use battery systems). Do I throw Skywatch out because it didn't detect the Cub and give a warning or do I use Skywatch as a backup to my eyes? I prefer the latter.
Well, I don't think the example is appropriate.
An FMS will not intercept the wrong ILS neither the wrong track. If something goes wrong, you'll have a message advising you. I am not saying it is perfect. However, in aviation, things operate at a higher level of reliability, and nothing is released in beta mode. As far as I know, when a software company releases a software im beta mode, you don't have to pay for it.
And a computer software will not jeopardize your life, you may only waste some times.

Well, I don't think the example is appropriate.
An FMS will not intercept the wrong ILS neither the wrong track. If something goes wrong, you'll have a message advising you. I am not saying it is perfect. However, in aviation, things operate at a higher level of reliability, and nothing is released in beta mode. As far as I know, when a software company releases a software im beta mode, you don't have to pay for it.
And a computer software will not jeopardize your life, you may only waste some times.
Look at the Skywatch example again. Altitude is generally accurate. Heading can be more of a suggestion with aircraft sometimes jumping form left to right side of the aircraft. Distance is no where near as accurate as altitude. Hence avoidance is best done via and altitude change. FYI, distance is determined by pinging the other craft's transponder and doing a time of flight calculation based on when the reply is received. Aircraft without transponders are invisible.

Look at the Skywatch example again. Altitude is generally accurate. Heading can be more of a suggestion with aircraft sometimes jumping form left to right side of the aircraft. Distance is no where near as accurate as altitude. Hence avoidance is best done via and altitude change. FYI, distance is determined by pinging the other craft's transponder and doing a time of flight calculation based on when the reply is received. Aircraft without transponders are invisible.
In the case of the TCAS the resolution advisory are altitude only and it takes precedence over ATC, this is how reliable it is. So there is no surprise. It seems that the AP of the car is causing surprises to the user, even operated within limits.
Although I'd love to continue comparing automation in both planes and cars (i enjoy this discussion), I'll stop here cause I am afraid we are drifting of topic.
Thank you for your input though.

I understand that. However, again, the question is, who should pay for the training ?

You think all companies with a new product should pay each user for beta testing ?

If we were all about the “Me Me Me” mentality. None of us would have much in the way of new tech anymore.

There is very little sense of community anymore is there.
Guys like Musk are rare, because most are all about take and no give.