TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

NoA nearly here?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LDCRS, Aug 14, 2019.

1. LDCRS

LDCRS Member

Here's the scenario of what happened to me today:

-2019 MS with enhanced AP.
    - Destination inputted into Nav
    - AP engaged
    - on the right lane of western ring rd (southbound) where it merges onto princes fwy outbound towards Geelong
    - car indicated by itself without confirmation
    - car merged onto the fwy without confirmation

As you can imagine I was totally caught of guard and ecstatic. I am assuming this was a total fluke but just wondering if anyone else has experience similar?

I don't frequent that section of town very much but I'm almost tempted to try and reproduce the scenario.

PS. I am 99.9% sure that I didn't indicate myself but there is about 0.1% of me that thinks that I may be just going insane and I totally did actually indicate.

2. Grenadine

Grenadine Member

Is it in your settings?

3. Icey

Icey Member

HA! Same thing has happened in twice now along the same freeway (Here).
    18' MX with EAP and FSD purchased.
    I go that way most days, next time I go past I'll record it.

4. LDCRS

LDCRS Member

Good to know that I'm not going crazy! Is that going outbound?

When was the first time that you noticed it happen?

5. Icey

Icey Member

Yes, outbound.
    Noticed it Monday and tonight.

6. LDCRS

LDCRS Member

That's very promising for NoA. And to be honest I'm surprised it's without confirmation.

Hopefully it's not going to be a process of manually adding the freeway interchanges one by one.

7. BenT

BenT Member

Do you know if you have HW3?

8. LDCRS

LDCRS Member

I have HW2.5. Jan 2019 build.

9. Techno-phile

Techno-phile S100D in garage with P3D and Roadster on order.

#9 Techno-phile, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    I am currently using NOA in California. It engages automatically on appropriate roads ( once AP is engaged), but the display changes from two blue lanes to a single blue line in the centre of the lane.
    In Settings you can choose how aggressive the lane changes will be ( up to Mad Max), and whether you have to acknowledge each manoeuvre first, just receive a warning or nothing.
    The familiar resistance on the wheel is still required to maintain AP, so the driver is still responsible, so I don't think regulators here would object. But I would be very surprised if they (or Tesla) allowed it without the options for the warnings or acknowledgments above. And if it is rolled out to all before those on the early access programme here.
    I am sure it is running in shadow mode however.

• Informative x 1
  10. conman

conman Active Member

Someone posted something very similar on the TOCA facebook page from Sydney so now with multiple people experiencing it it can't be coincidence. That said it is definitely not NoA which does the auto lane select and changing on the freeway. It looks to just be the merging component from NoA that's "leaked" into EAP, and hopefully is a sign that full NoA is not far off for us. We're now a year behind North America in features there and features are years behind as it is so it's hard to remain optimistic about them.

11. moemoke

moemoke Member

I was watching a youtube video by Tesla Kim just last night and she was saying that if you have destination in your nav
    and using auto pilot while on a freeway it will indicate at take the exit required to get to the destination, auto pilot
    will turn off towards the end of the freeway off ramp but it will nag to let you know.

• Helpful x 1
  12. conman

conman Active Member

NoA will, but enhanced autopilot as we have in Australia still won't. Tried it again today, failed miserably at on ramp and off ramps...

13. LDCRS

LDCRS Member

I think @conman may be right in that's its just a merging function but it is pretty cool when it does work but seems to be very limited areas at the moment.

Without confirmation is pretty rad though! Does the US have lane changes/merging WITHOUT confirmation?

14. ARMARM

ARMARM Member

Yes ... it's part of NoA.

• Like x 1
  15. Techno-phile

Techno-phile S100D in garage with P3D and Roadster on order.

Yes, in USA you can select manoeuvre only after acknowledging, manoeuvre with vibrate or chime or both , or just manoeuvre with no warning.

16. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

Can confirm I experienced this behaviour yesterday on the M4 in Sydney. Approached the merge whilst on autopilot, was a few seconds away from turning the blinker on and the car beat me to it, turned the blinker on and merged me across.

17. sauhsoj

sauhsoj Member

Would be great if Tesla could confirm or set expectations for Navigate on Autopilot in Australia - even if it is just select features such as auto-merge to/from slip-lane.

18. conman

conman Active Member

I think so far we've got Navigate On Autopilot quality phantom braking.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  19. LDCRS

LDCRS Member

Anyone know what the grey circle in the middle represents? It's the first time I've seen it after yesterdays 2019.32 update. I'm assuming it might be a time restricted speed limit? IMG_20190829_074951.jpg

• Informative x 2
  20. BenT

BenT Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1