Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NoA not wanting to stay in HOV lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So on the stretch of the HOV lane on the 403 in Burlington Oakville navigate on autopilot constantly wants to take me out of the HOV lane and put me into bumper to bumper traffic. I think it's because the maps don't properly tag this as being an HOV lane and thinks I'm in the passing lane and it wants to get me out, but still doesnt explain trying to put me in traffic when in a fast moving lane.

I'm curious if other HOV lanes in Ontario or in Canada for that matter have the same issue or if it's just for this stretch?

Over the last number of software updates the functionality has changed but it's still not usable for anyone driving the HOV lane. Especially if you have lane change with no confirmation enabled, all of a sudden it'll put the turn signal on and brake and try and start initiating a lane change. like I said above, sometimes this happens when there's a double line and also even when the traffic on the right is stopped and the HOV lane is moving at 80 kilometers an hour. It still operates like this even on the latest software update, but there are other things that have changed along the way.

For example when coming westbound navigate on autopilot used to enter the HOV lane on its own by Trafalgar road but it was very spotty when doing so. Now it no longer enters the HOV lane. It's never entered the HOV lane coming eastbound when it starts at Brant. It has never tried moving into the HOV lane when it has already begun.

I actually like the lane change without confirmation where you just wiggle the steering wheel, but because 90% of my driving is in the HOV lane I find myself constantly enabling and then disabling navigate on autopilot.

So I'm curious what the experience of other users in Ontario that use the HOV lanes is? does navigate on autopilot enter the HOV lane for you and does it stay in there? does it only enter when the HOV starts or will its move you over to the left lane and and enter the HOV lane even when it's already begun?

Last edited:
Happens to me on the 404 during rush hours sometimes. it's weird. NoA will enter the HOV fine, but randomly want to come out as you described. Thankfully I have just confirmation for lane change on.
I have at times turned off NoA just so I don't get phantom braking as it tries to find a gap.

I had the same problem when driving from Vegas to LA. It would constantly try to get out of HOV, even in the middle of the HOV lane where it's illegal to change lanes. This is despite having having entered the HOV lane on its own, having HOV enabled, and repeatedly cancelling the lane changes.

IMO Autopilot has a *long* way to go. I'll be buying my Tesla without it.

Not sure if this is related but NoA has this annoying habit of taking you out of the fast/passing lane if there's no car in front of you (I guess it assumes you're not keeping up with traffic and should get out of the passing lane). I haven't had it suggest to move me into a stopped lane. But have had it move or suggest to move into a lane that I could see was slower up ahead.
I'm guessing there should be some data to say that the lane is an HOV lane and this logic should not apply. Or better yet it should not apply when the other lane is clearly slower than your current lane.

Not sure if this is related but NoA has this annoying habit of taking you out of the fast/passing lane if there's no car in front of you (I guess it assumes you're not keeping up with traffic and should get out of the passing lane). I haven't had it suggest to move me into a stopped lane. But have had it move or suggest to move into a lane that I could see was slower up ahead.
I'm guessing there should be some data to say that the lane is an HOV lane and this logic should not apply. Or better yet it should not apply when the other lane is clearly slower than your current lane.

Driving on the 401 between Toronto and London, with NOA, doing 120km, I find it does too frequently move me out of the passing lane, into the center lane, only to move me back 30 seconds later. Using my own observation, I would see nobody behind me, and middle lane moving slower, not moving back and forth so often. I assume the M3 is not looking to see if there is anybody behind me. Rather just seeing a spot in the middle lane and going for it.

Might be better if I set the speed limit a bit higher, but this is my comfort spot, and probably better for efficiency as well.

My wife would say just drive slower and stay in the middle lane, but it does bunch up a lot and slows down too much for me.

Either way, I have found that NOA is encouraging me to be a more careful and consistent driver.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
I think that's how its 'designed' to work....in some places driving in the left lane is a no-no unless you are passing (though not really the case in ontario)....what you said about lanes being marked "HOV" and thus ignoring this 'rule' is what I assumed would happen. This is why I postulated that maybe that stretch of HOV isn't marked properly in the Tesla maps...but it seems others on different highways are having the same experiences (changing lanes when not legal, phantom slowdown, changing lanes when traffic to the right is slower..).

The strange thing about the 'passing lane' theory, is that rule should be the one that keeps you in the HOV (or left lane) when traffic is stopped to the right....

I think that's how its 'designed' to work....in some places driving in the left lane is a no-no unless you are passing (though not really the case in ontario).
I'm conflicted about that rule. On the one hand it would be nice if people didn't drive slowly in the "passing" lane, by going 1km/h faster than the next lane over (don't get me started on the people that go slower than the middle or right lane...). On the other hand I've driven on the 401 to Montreal at night where I've driven in the "passing" lane for 2 hours without anyone needing to pass me (and if they did I'd just pull over at that point), and it wouldn't make sense for me to weave in and out of the other lane all the time just to follow this rule.

I live in BC, Canada. Going north on Hwy 99 from Surrey, the HOV lane splits away from the main highway and runs parallel to it, then it splits away again, semi-terminating at a traffic light controlled intersection before continuing on the other side of the intersection for entry into the Deas Island Tunnel. NOA does not recognize the HOV lane at all and I have to manually move into it.
In another non-HOV location at Hwy 10 and King George Hwy, a major intersection with a right spur to head south, NOA doesn't seem to even know that turn lane is there and does not move into it; it has been there for years.
I think the problem is out-of-date Google maps. If this is so, this is pretty darn scary because of the unpredictability of the outcome at any turn point, particularly if the place is somewhere new to you.
(Yes HOV is turned on, and before someone points it out, yes my attention is focused and my hands are on the wheel at all times ready to take control ;).)

Last edited:
It's the passing lane... not the stay in lane. NoA is doing it's job as designed.

People who stay in the far left lane and not passing are causing congestion and accidents further down the line.

In this case the HOV lane is not a passing lane. This has been confirmed before but it's basically a regular travel lane. People get really mad but this seems to be the status legally.

On the passing lane issue. If I'm going 145km/h in the left lane and traffic is going 110km/h in the right lane, I'm not going to switch lanes every time there's a 15 second gap in the right lane. I don't see how that's safer. And at 150km/h you get impounded in Ontario.
Edit: I mention this because in my experience as long as navigate on autopilot doesn't "see" a car in either lane it will suggest to move to the right, even if I can see the car further ahead in the right lane.

Last edited:
Reactions: corlaandstan
In this case the HOV lane is not a passing lane. This has been confirmed before but it's basically a regular travel lane. People get really mad but this seems to be the status legally.
Yeah, I do agree with this. I know people get bent out of shape when you arent going 145 in the HOV lane at all times, but when I'm driving to work and the lanes beside the HOV are completely stopped, I'm NOT going to be flying by them at 145 just to have someone not seeing me cut into my lane....this has happened to me and luckily hasn't resulted in an accident...and its not even in the merge sections, people cut over the double lines to the HOV lane all the time....lets not even dwell on the fact that the posted speed limit is 100 km/h :)

I've had people up my a$$ when I'm doing 100-110 with traffic stopped beside me. It thankfully doesn't happen much, for the most part when traffic is stopped the HOV lane seems to be travelling around 100-ish on my commute. I'll sometimes speed up to 120 if someone does appear in a rush, but that situation is honestly really unsafe and part of me wants to actually slow down to 90 when those idiots are behind. Doing this may enrage them more, but I'm thinking more that one day I'll probably end up saving their lives, and the lives of someone entering the HOV lane that doesn't see them coming up so fast, in the process....

I'm not sure, but I would think a cop would be more likely to pull you over for speeding at 125 when the traffic beside you is stopped vs when you are more or less going flow of traffic....

But I digress, this isn't on topic of my original post....it is interesting to see that many others have similar experiences. For the past 8 months I was convinced it was just how the specific HOV lanes in Burlington/Oakville were tagged, but this doesn't seem to be the case. It makes me wonder then: What is the point of the 'Use HOV lane' option, it doesn't seem to do anything at all? o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: corlaandstan
So on the stretch of the HOV lane on the 403 in Burlington Oakville navigate on autopilot constantly wants to take me out of the HOV lane and put me into bumper to bumper traffic. I think it's because the maps don't properly tag this as being an HOV lane and thinks I'm in the passing lane and it wants to get me out, but still doesnt explain trying to put me in traffic when in a fast moving lane.

NOA doesn't recognize the HOV on the 403/QEW between Burlington and Oakville in either direction, but it works great on the 403 Mississauga. It's a problem with the mapping, I'm sure but don't know how to get it fixed by Tesla.

Maybe logging a bug report from the car would work?

NOA doesn't recognize the HOV on the 403/QEW between Burlington and Oakville in either direction, but it works great on the 403 Mississauga. It's a problem with the mapping, I'm sure but don't know how to get it fixed by Tesla.

Maybe logging a bug report from the car would work?
I log it every day, both directions basically every time it tries to pull me out of the lane.....part of the problem is the bug report only lets you speak for about 5 seconds so you cant give much detail....but now I've got it down:

"Bug Report: Navigate on Autopilot is trying to remove me from the HOV lane"

or

"Bug Report: Navigate on Autopilot wont stay in the HOV lane"

Is about all you have time to say...if you say anything longer, it just cuts off the text. I now enter the HOV lane with NoA enabled on purpose, wait for it to try and take me out, then disable NoA and say the bug report above in the hopes that the bug report is tagged with the geolocation and the fact that I had to disable NoA....but 8 months hasn't changed anything so my bug must be very low on the 'fix' list :oops:

Reactions: jjtsl and McCaesar
Maybe try tweeting to Elon, that seems to influence the backlog. :)
meh, I dont 'do' twitter. Not that I'm technology averse at all, just feel I have enough 'connection' in my life with email/internet/text/etc...I grudgingly went back on facebook since my kid's daycare communicates through it. To my dismay, the account I 'deleted' 7 years ago was still right there when I logged back in...and now I get all these 'messages' on facebook from people I haven't spoken to in years, that I have no real desire to reconnect with :mad: