Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NoA on a route with mixed interstate and local roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I plug a route into Navigation with both local roads and interstates and attempt to engage NoA, will the car decline to start AP until it reaches the interstate? And once off the interstate will it turn control back over to me or autosteer until it gets to a turn?

Is the correct approach to put your route it, drive manually until you get to the interstate, then engage NoA and manually disengage it when you exit the highway?

If I plug a route into Navigation with both local roads and interstates and attempt to engage NoA, will the car decline to start AP until it reaches the interstate? And once off the interstate will it turn control back over to me or autosteer until it gets to a turn?

Is the correct approach to put your route it, drive manually until you get to the interstate, then engage NoA and manually disengage it when you exit the highway?

If you plug in a route first, the car will simply use AP on the local roads and automatically switch to NOA when you enter an interstate. NOA will then automatically downgrade again to AP when you leave the interstate.

NOA is like a special version of AP. When you double tap the stalk, you engage AP. The car will automatically use NOA when it can or go back to AP depending on what road you are.

it is easy to tell the difference: AP is the double blue lane lines on the screen. NOA is the single blue path line. The car will chime and tell you on the screen when it switches from one to the other.

Last edited:
I tried this today and either I need training or to have to learn to trust it.

So if I'm cruising along on NoA on the interstate and my current route (in Nav) has me getting off the interstate onto a local road (45 mph with traffic lights), will NoA slow down, steer onto the exit ramp and convert to regular AP on the local road? I tried this today and it was a little scary. I couldn't quite watch what was happening on the screen because the car on NoA was approaching the exit ramp at full speed (75 mph) and I took over because it was going into exit lane approaching the exit WAY too hot.

Maybe those kinds of transitions are FSD and not NoA?

I tried this today and either I need training or to have to learn to trust it.

So if I'm cruising along on NoA on the interstate and my current route (in Nav) has me getting off the interstate onto a local road (45 mph with traffic lights), will NoA slow down, steer onto the exit ramp and convert to regular AP on the local road? I tried this today and it was a little scary. I couldn't quite watch what was happening on the screen because the car on NoA was approaching the exit ramp at full speed (75 mph) and I took over because it was going into exit lane approaching the exit WAY too hot.

Maybe those kinds of transitions are FSD and not NoA?

Maybe just a poorly mapped exit? It should slow down for the exit, transition to regular AP, and actually stop you at roughly the end of the ramp (depending on the traffic control at base of the exit, probably). AP does AP things once out of NoA, so it will not (intentionally) put you in the correct turn lane for example.

• Informative
Reactions: DaveG_NJ
Maybe just a poorly mapped exit? It should slow down for the exit, transition to regular AP, and actually stop you at roughly the end of the ramp (depending on the traffic control at base of the exit, probably). AP does AP things once out of NoA, so it will not (intentionally) put you in the correct turn lane for example.

Thanks. I just re-read that section of the manual and I think I get it. I've got pretty good eyesight, but those little text bubbles that appear are really small and when you're actively monitoring the road, it's a challenge to follow along with the display. I've seen with the FSD release there is less real estate for the map and more for the info panel on the left, which would be helpful. I don't think the map needs to be front and center all the time. I've got the same trip for tomorrow and will try again. It's a lot like taking a teenager for his or her first drive - trust, take over, or scream! LOL