Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOA - Speed Limit Changes

HeyEph

Mar 22, 2020
Fairport, NY
Shouldn't the car adjust the speed based on its recognition of changes in the speed limit?
Or, do you have to touch the speed limit sign indicator to get it to change?
If so, WTF?
If not, what setting am I missing?

jsight

Apr 5, 2018
Charleston
I used to think it should adjust automatically, but then I saw a lot of cases of it suddenly thinking the speed limit on the interstate changed to 35.

I think it is better to set the audible warning and just require manual adjustment for now. It is pretty easy to just hold the stalk for a second or so.

Reactions: jpfive

czbuckeye

Sep 24, 2020
Ohio
It worked for me with autopilot only with the software from the factory. With the most recent software update, it does not automatically adjust anymore.

HeyEph

Mar 22, 2020
Fairport, NY
I used to think it should adjust automatically, but then I saw a lot of cases of it suddenly thinking the speed limit on the interstate changed to 35.

I think it is better to set the audible warning and just require manual adjustment for now. It is pretty easy to just hold the stalk for a second or so.

Hold the stalk to adjust to the new speed limit? Up or down?
And, if you turn on the speed limit audible warning, does that only alert when you are in NOA?

designrs

Jun 24, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
My Model 3 SR+ with base AP started slowing down for speed limit changes about 2 or 3 software updates ago.

I think this was more of a liability concern than a FSD feature.

Note: My speed limit setting is “manual / absolute” not percentage.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
My Model 3 SR+ with base AP started slowing down for speed limit changes about 2 or 3 software updates ago.

I think this was more of a liability concern than a FSD feature.

Note: My speed limit setting is “manual / absolute” not percentage.
Will give that a try, will post back.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
Doesn’t work, stayed at 65mph, didn’t drop to 45mph. So I don’t know what you guys are doing.

54D74C42-4C03-4FE2-B161-4DAEC34FD5E4.jpeg

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
Are we talking about speed limit changes while driving on the freeway? I know mine changes speed limit on surface streets. I haven't paid attention if it does on the freeway.
Doesn’t work on surface streets or freeways, I just came from a run. It starts to slow down because the car in front of me starts to slow down. Will upload the video .

Last edited:

jsight

Apr 5, 2018
Charleston
Doesn’t work, stayed at 65mph, didn’t drop to 45mph. So I don’t know what you guys are doing.

View attachment 636677

It will only do it on streets that it treats as surface streets, and when autosteer is on. Autosteer is limited to 5 over the limit in these situations, so it will slow to that speed.

The categorization of highway vs non highway is not always consistent, though, so it doesn't always happen.

Reactions: Koolio46

PatrickCH4313

Mar 6, 2016
Argovie, CH
I have a general question regarding NOA switching to Autopilot mode when approaching a tunnel.
I know NOA needs information using internet/satellite data this means, the car needs a solid connection.
In Switzerland you have a very good reception in tunnels (mostly LTE with 4-5 bars).
So may be it's a general behavior of NOA that there is no connection when driving through a tunnel so NOA changes automatically to Autopilot mode regardless of the available connection.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC