Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOA - Speed Limit Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to think it should adjust automatically, but then I saw a lot of cases of it suddenly thinking the speed limit on the interstate changed to 35.

I think it is better to set the audible warning and just require manual adjustment for now. It is pretty easy to just hold the stalk for a second or so.

Reactions: jpfive
I used to think it should adjust automatically, but then I saw a lot of cases of it suddenly thinking the speed limit on the interstate changed to 35.

I think it is better to set the audible warning and just require manual adjustment for now. It is pretty easy to just hold the stalk for a second or so.

Hold the stalk to adjust to the new speed limit? Up or down?
And, if you turn on the speed limit audible warning, does that only alert when you are in NOA?

Doesn’t work, stayed at 65mph, didn’t drop to 45mph. So I don’t know what you guys are doing.

54D74C42-4C03-4FE2-B161-4DAEC34FD5E4.jpeg

Are we talking about speed limit changes while driving on the freeway? I know mine changes speed limit on surface streets. I haven't paid attention if it does on the freeway.
Doesn’t work on surface streets or freeways, I just came from a run. It starts to slow down because the car in front of me starts to slow down. Will upload the video .

Last edited:
Doesn’t work, stayed at 65mph, didn’t drop to 45mph. So I don’t know what you guys are doing.

View attachment 636677

It will only do it on streets that it treats as surface streets, and when autosteer is on. Autosteer is limited to 5 over the limit in these situations, so it will slow to that speed.

The categorization of highway vs non highway is not always consistent, though, so it doesn't always happen.

Reactions: Koolio46
The categorization of highway vs non highway is not always consistent, though, so it doesn't always happen.
This is the key point in this thread. Sometimes, the speed of the car drops to the new speed limit. Sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, holding the right stalk down momentarily slows the car car to the new speed limit.

Reactions: HeyEph
I have a general question regarding NOA switching to Autopilot mode when approaching a tunnel.
I know NOA needs information using internet/satellite data this means, the car needs a solid connection.
In Switzerland you have a very good reception in tunnels (mostly LTE with 4-5 bars).
So may be it's a general behavior of NOA that there is no connection when driving through a tunnel so NOA changes automatically to Autopilot mode regardless of the available connection.