Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nobel prize in Physics in just a minute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the winners are Peter Higgs and Francois Englert. Both well deserved though there were a ton of others as well (not all of whom are alive anymore) :) My own experience with them is that I've had lunch with Englert and my wife took photos with him when we were at a physics conference this March :)

10153467636_27894aaa97_z.jpg

It is also great that he was alive to see his theory proven and to win the Nobel (...no nominations/prizes if you are deceased). I saw a video online (...somewhere) where there was a lecture at CERN where the lecturer announced his research that finally proved the existence of the Higgs 'god particle' and the audience went wild...and Higgs got choked up. Pretty amazing...

Yeah, that was the 4th of July CERN seminar where first CMS (my experiment) and then ATLAS presented their preliminary results showing that the search for a Higgs like particle gave statistically significant results allowing us to claim that we thought the particle had finally been observed. The run up to that meeting was a few weeks in coming, ca 7 days before we didn't yet know if we had enough statistics or if the particle was still there in the latest data (we had looked through about half the year before). Then in some internal "locked" meetings the data was first presented to the collaboration and everyone was sure that we'd finally found the elusive particle. Higgs and Englert were strongly advised to come to the seminar which gave people the hint that this might be for real :)

It was nice to be first (the December 2011 seminar was ATLAS first, CMS after so the order was reversed for the 4th of July one) because in effect when CMS showed that we'd reached 5 sigma significance (the de facto standard in particle physics for discovery) the auditorium went nuts. Noone really cared about ATLAS talk beyond the fact that they too saw the particle to the same significance.

Fun fact: The 4th of July seminar was the first time Englert and Higgs met. In the prior 50 years since their publications they had never met at any conference or what not event.

I personally wasn't at CERN that day, but was giving a parallel press conference in Estonia with all possible media invited, it was a memorable day :)

Yeah, that was the 4th of July CERN seminar where first CMS (my experiment) and then ATLAS presented their preliminary results showing that the search for a Higgs like particle gave statistically significant results allowing us to claim that we thought the particle had finally been observed. The run up to that meeting was a few weeks in coming, ca 7 days before we didn't yet know if we had enough statistics or if the particle was still there in the latest data (we had looked through about half the year before). Then in some internal "locked" meetings the data was first presented to the collaboration and everyone was sure that we'd finally found the elusive particle. Higgs and Englert were strongly advised to come to the seminar which gave people the hint that this might be for real :)

It was nice to be first (the December 2011 seminar was ATLAS first, CMS after so the order was reversed for the 4th of July one) because in effect when CMS showed that we'd reached 5 sigma significance (the de facto standard in particle physics for discovery) the auditorium went nuts. Noone really cared about ATLAS talk beyond the fact that they too saw the particle to the same significance.

Fun fact: The 4th of July seminar was the first time Englert and Higgs met. In the prior 50 years since their publications they had never met at any conference or what not event.

I personally wasn't at CERN that day, but was giving a parallel press conference in Estonia with all possible media invited, it was a memorable day :)

Must be great to be working in particle physics these days with CERN in your neighborhood...and you can throw around the word/term Tesla in your daily work referring to the supercon steering magnets. Nice.