Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nobody mentions that the acceleration boost is too much power for the stock suspension of the non-performance model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the acceleration boost last night and I am driving it today.

I've seen so many videos about it and I decided that it was something that I wanted.

However as soon as I drove it for the first time, it is quite clear that the factory suspension of the non-performance model y isn't stiff enough to handle the extra torque.

When you slam on the accelerator, the entire vehicle sways backwards like a boat.

I've seen so many videos about it and I decided that it was something that I wanted.

However as soon as I drove it for the first time, it is quite clear that the factory suspension of the non-performance model y isn't stiff enough to handle the extra torque.

When you slam on the accelerator, the entire vehicle sways backwards like a boat.
Interesting. I've been going back-and-forth on whether or not to get this but have been waiting for a good 48-hour period to give it a test run. Are you planning on keeping it or is the suspension enough to make you return it after the trial?

Interesting. I've been going back-and-forth on whether or not to get this but have been waiting for a good 48-hour period to give it a test run. Are you planning on keeping it or is the suspension enough to make you return it after the trial?
Honestly, I'm not sure yet.

The acceleration is a lot of fun, but the backwards boat motion is not fun at all.

But I haven't driven a performance p model.

I did drive a pol estar performance model, and that model didn't have the swaying motion at all

Last edited:
Careful with the 48hour test. Tesla started the 48 hour "clock" at the time of purchase, but it took 28 hours for them to send the software download. I ended up with only 20 hours of "test" time. They refused to extend the time.

HAHA! I ended up buying the AB a few weeks later. The MPP coilovers easily handle the extra torque.

Good point at it about the zero to 60. And I should add, in Fair disclosure to the original post, that the boat swaying motion only happens when you're slamming the accelerator from a stop. When you've got to roll going the boat motion is not nearly as pronounced.

Did you actually add the mountain pass performance coilover? Or are you hypothesizing that if you did actually get them it would take care of the swaying motion?

Sways back and forth, like it doesn't have any traction control? Yeah, sure...... :rolleyes: Also, bald tires on a car that goes 0-60 in ~4s is never good.

I've had 'Boost for 16+ months and there's no swaying. The LR suspension is fine. The rear squats and front seems to lift a bit when 'Boosting.

My tires were totally bald on the rear after 20k miles, partially due to AB I'm sure 😂

Well, the last car I had that had this much power was a Porsche 911s, and it did not have any rear squat / front lift at all. But again that was a sports car and the y non-performance, is more of a utility vehicle with sports like performance. So I should be more aware that I can't have my cake and eat it too. I will likely keep the acceleration boost and not return it.

It would be nice though, if on the user interface, they did three settings instead of just two. When you add acceleration boost, it becomes chill and sport.

It would be nice if it was chill, standard, and sport

When I first bought the AB on my model 3 I too thought they need the chill, standard, and sport. I came to the conclusion after driving it for a while that the standard setting just wasn't needed, because it was so tame, until you put your foot into it. so long as you weren't mashing the throttle the car really drove as if it were in standard mode. AB is a nice bonus, I think you'll be pleased you got it.

Well, the last car I had that had this much power was a Porsche 911s, and it did not have any rear squat / front lift at all. But again that was a sports car and the y non-performance, is more of a utility vehicle with sports like performance.
Teslas might have a relatively low center of gravity but a Y is definite going to have a higher cg than a 911. Given that, greater squat is pretty much to be expected. Physics is a cruel mistress.

Reactions: GtiMart
I think this is the first post saying the MY suspension isn't stiff enough. I have zero issue with my suspension using AB. The boost made the car much more fun, especially when the battery gets low. The low battery power is way more than standard. At 15% battery, I'm faster than stock at 100%.

Reactions: Dennisis
It would be nice though, if on the user interface, they did three settings instead of just two. When you add acceleration boost, it becomes chill and sport.

I've always wanted this. I don't know why it's so difficult to implement. Let's start a petition like they did for "Ice/Snow Regen Mode". ;)

Well, the last car I had that had this much power was a Porsche 911s, and it did not have any rear squat / front lift at all. But again that was a sports car and the y non-performance, is more of a utility vehicle with sports like performance. So I should be more aware that I can't have my cake and eat it too. I will likely keep the acceleration boost and not return it.

Porsche does not have nearly the instant torque delivery at throttle tip in as Tesla.