Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nobody noticed the range bump?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's amazing what Tesla does. This is what having amazing software engineers does. (I know they have some great hardware guys too!) These people can ship a product and then for months tweak things and adjust stuff and pull every ounce of performance out of it down the road. I don't see any of the legacy guys doing this. They might unlock more battery over time or something but I don't see control refinements to improve the overall package.

lol where are now people who were saying last month buy now dont wait for October?

New buyers now get range bump, 2021 version,fresh interior coming...

Good god this conversation has been had so many times. What it boils down to - if you're going to spend your whole ownership monitoring specs and being sour about improvements that happen after you buy, don't buy a Tesla. They will keep innovating, they will keep improving and not all of those things will apply to old cars. Stick with a gasser and they'll hold back every innovation for the next model year so you'll get more peace of mind if that's your preference.

lol where are the people who were saying last month buy now dont wait for October? New buyers now get range bump, 2021 version, fresh interior coming...

Because the 2020 and 2021 are identical at the moment:
  1. 2020 and 2021 get the same bumped range. It's a software update.
  2. They just updated the Tesla website for 2021 and there's no freshened interior in the Y. It will probably be updated at some point, but that could be tomorrow, next Spring, next Summer, 2022, who knows. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the new console because I like the option of keeping my phone on the wireless charger with the door flipped down for security.
  3. The same workers who assembled VIN 59,999 also assembled VIN 60,001+ so I wouldn't expect any changes in quality control. That said, if you have an issue once you drive off the lot, you're forwarded to the Service Department and their "It's within spec":

Tesla cancels its ballsy ‘no questions asked’ 7-day return policy

Last edited:
lol where are now people who were saying last month buy now dont wait for October?

New buyers now get range bump, 2021 version,fresh interior coming...

This a model y forum so the range bump is software related. Model year doesn’t matter currently and the model y interior is staying the same.

model 3 of course then yea

i see everyone else has also dunked on you disregard

Last edited:
My LR RWD has gotten several bumps in range since buying it in march 2019, but all the range increases have been range estimation, not actual increases in real world range.

The LR RWD used to be rated at 310 miles, but that was the EPA test result for the LR AWD. The LR RWD on the same EPA test gets 331 mile range. So the range bump to 325 didn't change anything for me.

The new range increases seem to have a physical aspect change, in that the new rims are flatter, and designed for less drag (at least on M3, not sure about Y).

MYP here, 12k miles, still on 40.3
Just got the software update on my LR MY.
Screenshot_20201020-113336~2.png