Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nobody talking about the Full Autonomy hint from Elon at Code Conference?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
;) As I linked above, consider reviewing Mobileye's Q1 call for a little more info on where their tech is heading... it's a long, complex road to fully redundant production-ready self-driving autonomy.
:)

Uh dude - I've not only reviewed their call I've posted detailed notes on Amnon's CES presentation - we all know where they are headed - anybody on this board who has kept up on the reading anyway - you're welcome to review my posts if you need some help with that.

Linking multiple EyeQ3's is not marketing nor does it have anything to do with pretending that EyeQ3 is future proof - it's how the SOC was designed. Tesla chose to implement a single camera EyeQ3 system at first instead of building a multiple camera one from the get go. EyeQ4 will be more efficient and cheaper at the same task and have some vector capabilities that EyeQ3 does not, but Tesla will be building a multiple camera, multiple EyeQ3 based system prior to the Model 3's release. Tesla is still doing their own sensor fusion for the time being. Personally I think Tesla will ditch Mobileye entirely eventually but that's another story.

Tesla is already using 5 EyeQ3 chips on current autopilot.

It was MobilEye that said if Lidar becomes cheap their systems will work just fine with it. Lidar would simply provide redundancy to the camera systems. Camera sensors are only a few dollars so cheap is a relative term.

Tesla is already using 5 EyeQ3 chips on current autopilot.

It was MobilEye that said if Lidar becomes cheap their systems will work just fine with it. Lidar would simply provide redundancy to the camera systems. Camera sensors are only a few dollars so cheap is a relative term.
So when people refer to APv2 for the model S.. They really mean adding two cameras to the front of the car? i.e. The chip is already latest and will be for a while

So when people refer to APv2 for the model S.. They really mean adding two cameras to the front of the car? i.e. The chip is already latest and will be for a while
"People" mean different things depending on which person is doing the speculating.

What seems likely is that to significantly improve AP, what needs to be added to the current sensor suite is; rear facing radar, rear facing camera (current rear camera is not adequate, some believe), multiple forward cameras of at least two different focal lengths, and something for long range on each side. The current ultrasonic sensors in the bumpers only go out to 16 ft and are long latency compared to radar.

Reactions: grommet
my guess is that both the new Model S and X have the five chips...
The only reason I could imagine that Tesla would do that is if they could retrofit the required sensor hardware, which is not present even in the recently facelifted S. The only reason they would not have also added the required sensor hardware is if they had supply problems. But it stands to reason the most likely case is that AP 2.0 hardware isn't in the cars being built now. I believe this important feature is something they would have announced.

The only reason I could imagine that Tesla would do that is if they could retrofit the required sensor hardware, which is not present even in the recently facelifted S. The only reason they would not have also added the required sensor hardware is if they had supply problems. But it stands to reason the most likely case is that AP 2.0 hardware isn't in the cars being built now. I believe this important feature is something they would have announced.
Which sensor hardware are you referring to? The cameras, the radar, or the ultrasonic sensors?