TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Noise akin to the idling noise in an ice vehicle

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by nishy1, Oct 20, 2015.

1. nishy1

nishy1 Member

I just recently noticed a noise in my new p90d that is akin to the idling noise in a gas car when you turn the Ac up. I can be at a stop sign and it feels like there is something working harder than normal. It might go away if I reduce Ac or get to a ground halt. Is that normal?

2. mobe

mobe Member

Yes. It is your AC. When it's on the compressor runs and cooling fans run. Sounds kind of like an ice car with an electric cooling fan.

3. nishy1

nishy1 Member

Got it thanks. Weird because it never happened in the first month or so. Its kinda irritating.

4. mobe

mobe Member

I believe that with V7 they have made it a lot more aggressive in getting to and maintaining cabin temp. My cars AC is noticeably louder with V7.

5. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

It can sound embarrassingly similar to an old tired 4-banger that's running on 2 cylinders. I don't normally have that problem given my home climate, however during summer when in SoCal or Arizona... wow -- so much for "silent EVs".

6. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

its funny how you can now hear just how loud the AC is when there's no ICE to cover it up.
    I often turn off the AC when going into parking garages because I hate the AC breaking the silence :)