Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise Cancellation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the car on the highway for a time and this is the first road trip at 60-70 mph (2020 LR M3). The road serface varied from concrete like to asphalt (much quieter). This is a noisy car to drive for long distance. Since this is an electronic driven car do you think it is possible that the radio or sound system can be modified through S/W to provide road noise cancellation. This issue with noise was brought up by my wife and she is not happy about taking it on the road for a few hours. It seemed much more noisy than my previous Linclon or Merc GLK diesel. No a particlurily HAPPY CAMPER re road noise. Any ideas??

Coming from a ‘94 Acura Integra, my experience was polar opposite to the OP. Everything is relative.

That said, the road and wind noise is more noticeable without an engine so I get it and sometimes feel the same (especially when in gridlock next to dieseling vehicles). ANR would be cool but think it requires more microphones so would probably not be just a software update.

As they say on CarTalk, no noise is a problem so long as your radio can be set just a bit louder.

My previous luxury car had active noise cancelation. It felt unnatural.

I'm sure Tesla would love to make the Model 3 even quieter... the laminated side windows are expensive and do help considerably with wind and traffic noise. My 2021 is noticeably quieter than the first version I test drove a couple years ago. That said, there's more work to do, and I understand it's a constant refinement process. Rear seat is quite a bit noisier than the fronts. Noise insulation adds weight, which detracts from range... let alone the additional cost (although the laminated side windows show Tesla is not against spending money on the problem; it's probably a bang-for-the-buck thing).

In addition to road noise, I found that driving the Model 3 over 80 MPH with a crosswind produces a lot of wind noise, as if a window was cracked open. Slow below 80 and it was back to peace and quiet.

I used to own a Mazda Miata (retractible hard top). Top up, it was so noisy on rutted concrete highways that you couldn't wait to take a break. The Model 3 is heaven in comparison! So, it's all relative. I'd love for it to be even quieter, though.

Reactions: rlasry1
I took the car on the highway for a time and this is the first road trip at 60-70 mph (2020 LR M3). The road serface varied from concrete like to asphalt (much quieter). This is a noisy car to drive for long distance. Since this is an electronic driven car do you think it is possible that the radio or sound system can be modified through S/W to provide road noise cancellation. This issue with noise was brought up by my wife and she is not happy about taking it on the road for a few hours. It seemed much more noisy than my previous Linclon or Merc GLK diesel. No a particlurily HAPPY CAMPER re road noise. Any ideas??
you didn't say which wheels are on your car. 18, 19,20 "

My 2018 Model 3 does feel noisier then my 2017 Volt. My experience is the road surface is making the most of difference on the noise, it is much quieter on the asphalt, and Volt doesn't have that big of difference with the road surface. I guess Tesla doesn't put any noise isolation on the bottom, just sheet metals and batteries. :(

Reactions: ElectricGhost
You guys probably just miss the the soothing sound of a ICE humming away drowning out all the other noises. Maybe play some MP3 with engine noises it’ll make it better.
I don't know what kind of ICE vehicles folks here used to drive but I have not had one in well over a decade that made enough engine noise to even hear it at all at anything over a very slow speed. NVH and noise suppression is very good on modern ICE vehicles.

AirPods Pro?

some noise is road noise, perhaps Quiettrack tires or other would help. I found covering the glass seams to help with wind noise on the highway. Better than the rubber tube kits for sale.
0B6A2519-47E9-4C79-A326-2F826700B7DE.jpeg

I’m always intrigued by the noise discussions. I’ve got an early Model 3 (May 2018), and I’m satisfied with the interior noise. It’s not the quietest car in the world, but the quietest car isn’t a small sport oriented sedan either. There is essentially no wind noise in my car, the noise I hear is all road noise as I’d expect from low aspect ratio tires and a taut suspension. I don’t believe this is true of all Model 3’s, especially early ones, so I feel fortunate.
The best, most authoritative write up that I agree with (!) is:

I've had my M3P for 18 months and 17k miles now, and I can say that the noise levels are the worst aspect of the car for me, and by some margin. I don't like it at motorway speeds, find it tiring after an hour or so. Ironic really as the drivetrain is near silent. I've heard differing views on the new front windows, some saying there is an improvement in noise levels, other not.

It's making me look at other options when the lease expires, which is a shame because the car is so good in many other ways, just let down by lack of development.

Edit: My previous car was a 16 year old Lexus IS200, and it was subjectively quieter at 70-80 mph, and certainly quieter at 50. The Model 3's dominant noise issue is road noise.

See, here you’re comparing the “performance” trim of the Model 3, with wide, exceptionally low profile, performance oriented tires and a stiff suspension to a mid line sedan from a company focused on quiet cars with squishy suspensions. What magic did you expect Tesla to pull off?

Reactions: activehavoc
Much of the road noise is because Model 3&Y use relatively wide and high performance tires than the cars mentioned in posts above. Prius especially uses very narrow tires, which while quieter, offer little in the way of sporting handling.

I don't buy that. My previous Jaguar XF had slightly wider tires on the same 19" diameter rims as my Model 3, and the car weighed about the same.

That Jag was super quiet on any road surface, and had an amazingly smooth ride while still very being very sporty. I definitely miss it.

I wish Tesla would hire those Jag engineers for suspension and chassis isolation because they're just not very good in those areas.