Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise Change after update??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me or has anyone else notice the electric noise when you flatten the throttle has changed since the large update earlier this year?

I used to get a high pitched mosquito sound only, now it starts with this and develops into a deeper tone. :D

I thought I noticed more noise after the last update to 2020.8.3. I'd say it is has more prominent whine from the inverter, at least that's what I think the sound is. Now my M3 now sounds a little more like my Bolt. The Bolt's inverter is a bit noisy, especially on regen.

Could also be that I'm imagining it. :D

Reactions: BennyMountfort
I thought I was imagining that the noise was different. It's more of a low hum. Can't understand how Tesla could change the sound with just a software update.

tesla doesnt want their motors to be loud. the model s motor can actually be made really noisy - look up the Saleen Model S.
soemwhere along the line one of the engineeres at tesla must have noticed that the motor could pump out 5% more power by reprogramming the torque curve at the cost of smoothness (and hence introduction of noise) and tesla decided to go ahead with it.

No, Saleen replaced gears in gearbox with a steeper reduction - that resulted in harder acceleration and lower top speed. They used straight cut gears which introduced constant noise.
Motor reprogramming is out of the question - one needs crypto keys that Tesla does not share...

The FourSixteen packs the same 416 horsepower rating as the Model S. However, thanks to an all-new 11.39:1 final gear ratio, the car is noticeably quicker and a bit louder. It also has larger wheels and upgraded brakes including an optional carbon ceramic disc system.

This were the times when:
The Tesla Model S is already a shockingly quick car. The electric drive train will propel it to 60 miles per hour in just over five seconds

How the times had changed ... my little M3LR is quicker than that, has more range and costed half the price...

Last edited:
how Tesla could change the sound with just a software update.
its about updating the framwere

They can change how the inverter works, it is software driven. The inverter makes noise as it changes DC to AC.

They can change how the motors are driven by the AC from the inverter. Motors make noise, and make different noises depending on how they are driven.

All this is done by software, can be changed, and is changed. It is how they give extra power such as the 5% boosts and the Acceleration Boost.