Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise from back while car is off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have had my 2010 Roadster 2.0 for almost 2 weeks. Love driving it but mainly got it for my wife. I am trying to get use to all the different noises. There is one in particular that concerns me. I noticed it the other day for the first time. I heard a buzzing noise in the garage and thought it was my Nema 14-50 outlet but located the source to the roadster. There is a fan-like noise coming from the back of the car just behind the rear window on the passenger side.
The noise is still there despite the car not being plugged in or not been driven for hours. The noise does stop after I plug in the car but of course other noises start.
Anyone have any idea about this?
I have very limited time the next 3 weeks so was wondering if this is something to be concerned about that I should urgently address to Tesla or if it can wait?

I was able to upload a video of the noise on youtube. http://youtu.be/Bz1gdLgkYCQ

Thanks

The video doesn't want to load for me (probably my connection), but I'm going to assume it's just normal battery cooling noises. Countless times I've had people come tell me that I left my car running, when I'm sitting there with the key in my hand.

Pop open the back ... the cooling fluid is right behind the rear window on the passenger side (just where you say the noise is coming from) ... louder?

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like the water pump for the cooling system, it'll kick on anytime you "wake" the Roadster up via opening the doors, arming/disarming the alarm, etc. It eventually goes to sleep and will stop unless the ambient temps are high enough where it wants to keep the coolant moving.

Nothing to be alarmed over, its normal.

^^ what he said.

Wiztecy, Thanks for the reply and appreciate the info. So the car has been sitting in my garage for the last 6 hours and it has been a cool evening (less than 70 degrees). I have not opened or armed the car for the same duration. So is it normal to keep running that long? How about if it is still running in the morning?

Ambient temps don't really mean much if the battery temp has been built up from high daytime ambient temps plus driving use which builds heat. FYI, look up "cooldown" for the battery pack or ESS as its technically called to understand a little more how to care for the pack even better if you like. Most likely the ESS is hot, like a core of an oven after being used, and can't wick the heat away as fast it would like without assistance. So its trying to keep the temps even and gradually down by circulating the coolant. A cooldown is a low amp (12-16AMP/240Volt) charge when you get home / drive after some time that runs the HVAC/Air conditioning system to drive the ESS temps down. Keeping the battery cool extends the longevity. Also you may want to search for OVMS and invest in picking that up sometime in the future, I consider it a must have. That way you have more control over your Roadster and understanding with its system. You can monitor temps of the Roadster from the OVMS system via the phone/device app as well as other way cooler features that are awesome.

If it is coolant pump, it is not (directly) dependent on ambient temperature.

The coolant pump will run when either of two conditions is present:

1. Car is awake - it typicaly stays awake for 5 mins after you lock everything.
  2. Hottest brick in the battery is too hot - best estimates are around 31 celcius as the threshold.

If your battery is too hot, the coolant pump will run continuously. Given the size of the battery, it is a lot of heat to dissipate with just a small pump, so unless ambient temperatures are very cool it is likely that pump will continue to run and car will never sleep. Solution is to do a low-current range mode charge to bring battery temperature down (or use COOLDOWN in OVMS or TATTLER).