TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Noise from FRONT motor area in reverse

Discussion in 'Model S' started by redox, Mar 3, 2015.

1. redox

redox Member

When I'm in reverse, especially if the steering wheel isn't straight, I get a slight noise from the front area. The best way to describe it is to think of it as the (clothes) washer: when that drum starts spinning full of clothes and water/soap, it's not loud, but you can tell there is some rubbing/tossing/moving going on.

Nothing catastrophic of course, it's very light and only happens in those rare occasions.

Still, is does this happen to you (other D) people?

-- Greg

2. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Does this only happen when you have the steering wheel turned all the way to one side when in reverse? I get a little rubbing of the front tire in the wheel well in those conditions. Maybe that's what you're hearing?

3. redox

redox Member

I wouldn't say it only happens when it's all the way to one side, but I do think it's more prevalent the further away from the straight ahead position.