Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise from passenger front door - like a loose nut in door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This noise sounds like a nut that is loose in the door. I doubt there is a nut that is loose in there, but it's just to explain what it sounds like.

I hear a "knock" when I accelerate or decelerate. If I accelerate/brake very slowly, the noise doesn't happen. But if I drive normally, at every start I will hear the knocking sound. Same when I release the accelerator (regen is enough to trigger it at low speeds), or brake. Can reproduce 100% of the time.

From that area also comes a vibration noise, similar to a loose screw, that appears when driving on rough road (not on smooth roads). Not sure it's connected.

Anyone seen/heard this before?
Anything to do with the "torque controllers"? (the stuff that prevents you from quickly opening the door - the sound is a bit similar)

It's a Raven build from July 2019.

TIA

This noise sounds like a nut that is loose in the door.

I have a similar sound in my 2020 Model S Raven front passenger door. I only hear it when making a hard turn.

I also have an unusual sound near my left driver foot when using TACC and the car decides it should brake because of crossing or turning traffic ahead or some phantom reason. This is a ratcheting like noise. It’s scares my partner every time.

Had a similar "knock" sound coming from what I thought was the right side of the dash/door somewhere. It would be there and then not be there. I'd turn a corner and get it, try making the same direction turn again and not get it. Come to a stop and get it, try it again and not. I listened and looked for something loose for a couple weeks.

Turns out, I had a round container of hand sanitizer wipes moving around in the middle cubby. Removed it, sound gone.

I would have sworn it was under the dash somewhere.

Had a similar "knock" sound coming from what I thought was the right side of the dash/door somewhere. It would be there and then not be there. I'd turn a corner and get it, try making the same direction turn again and not get it. Come to a stop and get it, try it again and not. I listened and looked for something loose for a couple weeks.

Turns out, I had a round container of hand sanitizer wipes moving around in the middle cubby. Removed it, sound gone.

I would have sworn it was under the dash somewhere.

Not in my case for sure