TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Noise in AC Vents

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by lasdj, May 31, 2018.

1. lasdj

lasdj Member

I just got my M3 back from the SC for a bumper repaint and started to noticed a weird sound / noise in the AC Vent area. Every time I turn the steering wheel (not a full turn more like 90 degrees or so) left or right I heard a weird clank noise like something is loose. Is this normal and have others have the same issue? I wanted to check the community before talking to the SC about it.

2. lasdj

lasdj Member

Sorry wanted to clarify not just turning the steering wheel, it is when the car is moving and I steer it either to the right or left and I can hear a clunk/clank noise when moving. When the car is not moving there is no noise.

3. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

clanks are bad. go to service center.

4. lasdj

lasdj Member

Yeah was going to take it in later this week since I'm not driving it. Just sounds like something is loose that when the car leans right i hear something that moves and stops and makes the noise then when i leave left same thing happens.

5. lasdj

lasdj Member

So dropped off my car at the SC about 2 weeks ago and last Friday they found the culprit and it was a bolt inside my HVAC system. Not sure how it got there but they said that all the bolts are in tact and they removed the loose one that was making the noise. So if anyone else had this issue or knows what the inside would look like let me know to confirm that the bolt isnt part of the car.