Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise in AC Vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my M3 back from the SC for a bumper repaint and started to noticed a weird sound / noise in the AC Vent area. Every time I turn the steering wheel (not a full turn more like 90 degrees or so) left or right I heard a weird clank noise like something is loose. Is this normal and have others have the same issue? I wanted to check the community before talking to the SC about it.

Sorry wanted to clarify not just turning the steering wheel, it is when the car is moving and I steer it either to the right or left and I can hear a clunk/clank noise when moving. When the car is not moving there is no noise.

Yeah was going to take it in later this week since I'm not driving it. Just sounds like something is loose that when the car leans right i hear something that moves and stops and makes the noise then when i leave left same thing happens.

So dropped off my car at the SC about 2 weeks ago and last Friday they found the culprit and it was a bolt inside my HVAC system. Not sure how it got there but they said that all the bolts are in tact and they removed the loose one that was making the noise. So if anyone else had this issue or knows what the inside would look like let me know to confirm that the bolt isnt part of the car.

My daughter accidentally dropped a small object about the size of a tic tac through the rear vent. I tried to remove it with various methods, include using a vacuum to suck it out. I had to bear it for a good two weeks. The sound was so annoying each time the car accelerated. I was about to tear the whole compartment apart.

One day, I just put the fan to max and it flew out. What a relief it was. Since then, I’ve been super careful with the rear vent, not having it point upward.

Know exactly how you felt.