Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise on used model x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just purchased a used model X from tesla and noticed a few things that are different than my 2021 MYLR. Just wanted to know if these are issues or am I being paranoid and comparing a 2018 December build to a 2021 august built vehicle.

1. There are two noises that seem to emanate from the “engine”- a) a “zzz” sound somewhat reminiscent of old hybrid ICE engines like in a Honda Civic hybrid from 2010…- and b) a more stronger motorcycle like sound (although not as loud) which is quite surprising for a 13K mile car.

Are these two expected? The motorcycle like noise is pretty annoying and I am hoping it’s an issue that could be fixed?

2. The battery degradation seems to be on the higher side - I was told the degradation could be 3-4% but I could see only a max charge of 275 miles (100%). This is more than 6% of the 295 epa estimated range. Can you please let me know what I could do? Or is this expected?

3. The brakes squeak when I hit them to stop. I assume this is just brake pads replacement or something less ominous.

It is frustrating that Tesla does not allow test drives of used cars and now they are requiring to fix service appointments for any concerns (some of which could be immediately addressed) on delivery day.

Hello,

I just purchased a used model X from tesla and noticed a few things that are different than my 2021 MYLR. Just wanted to know if these are issues or am I being paranoid and comparing a 2018 December build to a 2021 august built vehicle.

1. There are two noises that seem to emanate from the “engine”- a) a “zzz” sound somewhat reminiscent of old hybrid ICE engines like in a Honda Civic hybrid from 2010…- and b) a more stronger motorcycle like sound (although not as loud) which is quite surprising for a 13K mile car.

Are these two expected? The motorcycle like noise is pretty annoying and I am hoping it’s an issue that could be fixed?

2. The battery degradation seems to be on the higher side - I was told the degradation could be 3-4% but I could see only a max charge of 275 miles (100%). This is more than 6% of the 295 epa estimated range. Can you please let me know what I could do? Or is this expected?

3. The brakes squeak when I hit them to stop. I assume this is just brake pads replacement or something less ominous.

It is frustrating that Tesla does not allow test drives of used cars and now they are requiring to fix service appointments for any concerns (some of which could be immediately addressed) on delivery day.
This is a 2018 December build with 13 k miles 100D. 7 seater ..

My 2018 100D presents 277 miles max the last time I checked. I run with energy set to %, so honestly, I don't care.
My brakes make a grinding sound a bit when starting out. I would not describe it as a squeak though.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shareth23