Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise Reduction Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm too cheap to fork over $4k for Tesla's noise reduction kit so I did an alternate route.

Someone recommended using RaamAudio instead of Dynamat cuz its supposed to be better and slightly cheaper. So I bought RaamAudio padding.

Had my trusty local guy install it along with the HID kit. Covered floor, back, inside doors.

Here's what I'm noticing:
a)very significant improvement when going over bumps and stuff. Much more muffled and car feels more solid.

b)very little improvement on road noise. Sort of expected as nothing was done on wheel wells. And with shockingly high Washington State road noises, I wasn't really expecting miracles.

c)my feet are warmer.

Overall, I'm happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We had the second stage noise reduction kit installed during our annual service in Seattle last month. There is a noticeable improvement. It will be interesting to see how the lower door seals work next winter with snow and slush. We asked for the noise reduction upgrade a couple months before our service and I think it was a scramble for them to get the parts together.

I did Sound II *Plus*over the weekend with the help of the soundproofing expert here on TMC - dhrivnak. I was concerned about weight so I used the Superlight Dynamat material and in addition I lined the whole tub - basically everywhere there was carpet with Bonded Logic sound insulating material. It's a great insulator and sound absorber. Also very light. Maybe Dave will post some pics. He was really nice to help me - saved me a lot of time and prevented me from making a lot of mistakes.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rotarypower
Yes thanks Henry for trusting me to really tear into your very fine Tesla.
Tesla_Sharp.jpg
Here is a shot with the seats out and us about the soundproof the back wall. Under where the driver's seat was is what was part of the "normal" sound proofing. It appears to be a Dynamat like material.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a shot with the sound barrier felt on the passenger side. As you see the side carpet attaches via Velcro and we trimmed around that. The carpet went back in quite nicely. I was worried about the 1/2" thickness but surprisingly it turned out not to be a problem, or rather just a minor one.
Tesla_Sharp (2).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my final picture. As you can see we have the passenger side back together and are putting the finishing touches on the driver's side. We also installed Dynamat inside the doors. It took the better part of two days for us to do this, so it is not a job for the feint of heart.
Tesla_Sharp (1).jpg

The only problem is now I want to add some of HCSharp's upgrades to my car as he taught me a thing or two. So now I need another day to tear back into mine. I also predict he will use a lot less heat this winter as the material looks like it will insulate well.

Reactions: IslandRoadster
Great Job!!

How did you hold the Dynamat to the car body?
What mistakes could I make if I tried this...................... since TM already said they can't help. Suggested I go to an audio installation shop and let them cut up my baby!

NOT!

The first pic looks like you took seats and rails out entirely ..... is it all metric?

Great Job!!

How did you hold the Dynamat to the car body?

Both Superlight Dynamat and Dynamat Extreme come with self-adhesive coating on the back. Peal and stick. The primary purpose of this material is to stop body panels from resonating so you don't need to cover a large area to stop it from moving. We covered about 50% of the inside of the doors on all panels. First you have to wash the inside of the door pretty well so the stuff will stick. The top panel is the hardest to reach. We put Dynamat on the rear firewall including the top shelf where the speakers are as well. Tesla already had some on the lower portion so we didn't do that.

The Bonded Logic felt material serves a different purpose. While Dynamat mostly dampens resonate noise from body panels, the thick felt absorbs a lot of sound after it gets inside your cabin. Tesla used some thin felt in Sound I, but it wasn't nearly enough. Bonded Logic is also a great insulator which will keep my feet warmer in winter I hope. It weighs almost nothing.

What mistakes could I make if I tried this...................... since TM already said they can't help. Suggested I go to an audio installation shop and let them cut up my baby!

NOT!

The first pic looks like you took seats and rails out entirely ..... is it all metric?

The biggest mistake you could make is not putting your seat belts back properly. Make sure those bolts are torqued nice and tight. One of mine was loose before we started!!! As far as sound proofing mistakes, most of them only cause you to spend more time re-doing your work. Make sure you label all the fasteners and they go back in the right place.

Everything is metric. There are hex socket bolts, torx bolts, regular hex bolts, plastic fasteners some of which are disposable we learned. Some of these changed with each version. The amount of existing soundproofing is not the same from one car to the next from Tesla. They blew foam into my door sills so they don't make any resonating noise like the older cars did. I noticed that my bottom pan has patches of Dynamat-like material applied in some places.

Hi HC,
I'd like to hear how much of a difference you notice with the noise reduction kit!
Thanks,
bart513

4-5db. It's not a dramatic difference. I can turn the music down 1 notch and hear people a little better in the car. Now I notice things like the squeaky hard top a little more than I used to. Apparently my dash and cabin dome light are also rattling but I never noticed them before.

4-5db. It's not a dramatic difference. I can turn the music down 1 notch and hear people a little better in the car. Now I notice things like the squeaky hard top a little more than I used to. Apparently my dash and cabin dome light are also rattling but I never noticed them before.

Ha. I've noticed the squeaks and rattles magically disappear when I drive top-down.

• Funny
Reactions: DeedWest