Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise Reduction Kits - Yes or No

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's clearly a wide variation in noise in different model 3s.

The thing that drove it home for me was the model S loaner I had I realized I could actually hear things going on *outside* the car. That just doesn't happen with a model 3, even at 30mph it's loud enough to drown out anything quieter than a car horn.

I do wonder what double glazed glass would do.. I figured that was more to do with insulation so reducing the heater cost than noise, since most noise is transferred from the tyres through vibration.

Since I'm bored I'll take the car out with a sound meter app and report figures for comparison, otherwise it's all subjective.

Reactions: MrBadger
So after a quick run out.. it's actually quite interesting. At 15mph the noise is already 65db (purely road noise at that speed). What's interesting is it doesn't really change as much with speed as I'd expect. At 50mph it's approching 70db and at 70mph it's consistently around 70-74 (and wind noise is becoming an issue).

That's with door seals which reduced the noise from stock (I've had those for almost a year now).

Subjectively though there's a massive difference between 50mph and 70mph, so difference of only 4db doesn't tell the whole picture. At 70 the noise is bordering on unpleasant and I'd normally have music on to try to drown it out.

Couldn't find a definitive list, but a small comparison with german cars is here: The Top 30 Quietest Cars – A Cabin Noise Test by AUTO BILD

....the model S loaner I had I realized I could actually hear things going on *outside* the car. That just doesn't happen with a model 3, even at 30mph it's loud enough to drown out anything quieter than a car horn....
I followed the early years of Tesla with interest and recall the Model 3 being designed and launched as both 'mass' market and down to a cost budget. This was at a time when Tesla didn't enjoy the capitalisation they now have and when funds were tighter.

It makes sense to me that things like reduced wheel arch & door insulation, simpler suspension & door handles, a single centre screen (LHD/RHD) etc etc was as a result of this and trying to keep the price as low as possible. I therefore didn't have expectations that road noise was going to be as low as a premium European/Japanese car or Models S & X for instance.

It also makes sense that as Tesla moves into profitability and greater economies of scale, the Y and now 3 start to see improvements and even more 'luxurious' (ie auto boot) features.

Maybe insulation will improve one day? In the meantime I just turn it up & enjoy the premium sound system, - it drowns out all annoying noises (including squeals emanating from the passenger seat)

Last edited:
I followed the early years of Tesla with interest and recall the Model 3 being designed and launched as both 'mass' market and down to a cost budget. This was at a time when Tesla didn't enjoy the capitalisation they now have and when funds were tighter.

It makes sense to me that things like reduced wheel arch & door insulation, simpler suspension & door handles, a single centre screen (LHD/RHD) etc etc was as a result of this and trying to keep the price as low as possible. I therefore didn't have expectations that road noise was going to be as low as a premium European/Japanese car or Models S & X for instance.

It also makes sense that as Tesla moves into profitability and greater economies of scale, the Y and now 3 start to see improvements and even more 'luxurious' (ie auto boot) features.

Maybe insulation will improve one day? In the meantime I just turn it up & enjoy the premium sound system, - it drowns out all annoying noises (including squeals emanating from the passenger seat)

There’s also the weight penalty that additional sound insulation may result in. Will be interesting to see if he refreshed versions differ much. I know about the front side glass now being laminated, but I’m sure I read somewhere about ‘additional sound proofing’, eg it might be more than just the side glass and possibly other changes under the skin?