Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise under 5 mph only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Electroman

Aug 18, 2012
TX
I get this noise that comes only under 5 mph and stops completely around 6 mph. No noise if I switch to neutral. Here is an audio recording that I did from iPhone placing it in the trunk.

Tesla Noise Recording.mp3

0:00 to 0:0.07 : you will hear the noise as I gently accelerate from 0mph. it stops at 0:07 as i go above 6 mph.
00:37 : I hold the speed steady at 4 mph and you can hear the sound very clearly.

Is this milling noise? grinding noise? balloon squeal?

Note: I know there are plenty of topics on noise and it is possibly that this is already discussed in one of those, but my limited search did not bring up a topic that discussed this one.

The decelerations at 0:16, 0:31, and 1:08 sound a bit like a futuristic spacecraft coming in for a landing. (Well, you asked for any thoughts.) It certainly sounds like electric motor whine. My RWD P85, same vintage as yours, does not make that sound. You should take the car to your local service center and have them check it out.

I heard something like the milling noise @ around 0:12 and at 1:06, but that's outside of the time frames you mentioned. My milling noise goes way beyond 6mph though to around 30mph where it's likely just being drowned out by other noises by then.