TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Noise when braking on autopilot

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ifonul, Jul 1, 2016.

1. ifonul

ifonul Member

I searched for a similar topic, but could not find anything similar.

My S90D is a couple of weeks old now. I love everything about the car, but one thing nags me: when on AP, in stop and go traffic, the brakes engage - in a pretty abrupt way and quite late IMO - but what bothers me the most is a relatively loud 'thump' when the brakes engage. It sounds like a mechanical something (pump?) engaging (which would make some sense I guess), but it could also sound like a loose something (caliper holder?) in the braking mechanism.

Now, the same *does not* happen when pressing the brake pedal, regardless of how hard of a stop. The sounds comes from the left/front (driver's) side. It also seems to be louder if there was an acceleration shortly after followed by a brake (to zero or close to 0mph).

Anyone noticed anything similar to this? Not sure if I should be worried or just get used to it...

2. kort677

kort677 Banned

#2 kort677, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    I would advise to you get your car to a service center, what you are reporting is not normal and needs to be looked at.

3. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

Never hurts to have strange sounds looked at, however, I found that noise was coming from the brake pedal - Autopilot releases the brake abruptly and the pedal makes the thump sound as it returns the top end of its travel. It does sound & feel like it is happening on acceleration, as AP lets go of the brake and accelerates pretty much at the same time.

You can verify that it is the pedal with your foot by not letting the pedal snap all the way back. The service centre (or you) can install a felt damper pad to mute the sound.

4. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

What value of separation do you have set? (1 - 7). Perhaps something higher might work better

5. mijuny

mijuny New Member

I know this is a old thread but I have an exact same sound coming from my 12/2017 Model S. "Pumping"/ creaking sound when autopilot brakes coming from front left wheel. The sound comes just before the car comes to full stop. Did you ifonul have the car checked and was there something wrong? When breaking manually there no sound.

6. sevenout

sevenout Member

7. Reen

Reen New Member

I have the same issue with my Model X 2017, I brought it for service a couple times but I gave up. Now, I have to live with that noise. :(

8. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

I had an S100D loaner that made this noise from the left front quadrant of the car when AP braked hard at low speeds. Sounds like an ABS modulator cycling to me.

I took an audio recording of it and emailed it to the tech at the service center and he checked the car in for service as soon as I returned it saying it wasn’t normal.

My Model 3 makes no such noise in identical conditions.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My mid-March 2018 build Model X 100D does the exact same thing. So have numerous loaners I've had when my old Model S was in for service. I think it is "unfortunate" but "normal"

10. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Most indications are that the noise is coming from the brake pedal itself. Not the wheel, not ABS modulation, etc.

11. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

I have the same issue. Service told me tesla engineers were aware and something about adding it to my toolbox. Said currently there is no fix but lots of others have reported it.

12. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

I find it to be a really alarming noise. I had a guest with me in my loaner and he remarked on the noise with concern.

I’m glad I don’t have to live with it and hope they can get it sorted for others affected.