Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise when braking on autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched for a similar topic, but could not find anything similar.

My S90D is a couple of weeks old now. I love everything about the car, but one thing nags me: when on AP, in stop and go traffic, the brakes engage - in a pretty abrupt way and quite late IMO - but what bothers me the most is a relatively loud 'thump' when the brakes engage. It sounds like a mechanical something (pump?) engaging (which would make some sense I guess), but it could also sound like a loose something (caliper holder?) in the braking mechanism.

Now, the same *does not* happen when pressing the brake pedal, regardless of how hard of a stop. The sounds comes from the left/front (driver's) side. It also seems to be louder if there was an acceleration shortly after followed by a brake (to zero or close to 0mph).

Anyone noticed anything similar to this? Not sure if I should be worried or just get used to it...

Never hurts to have strange sounds looked at, however, I found that noise was coming from the brake pedal - Autopilot releases the brake abruptly and the pedal makes the thump sound as it returns the top end of its travel. It does sound & feel like it is happening on acceleration, as AP lets go of the brake and accelerates pretty much at the same time.

You can verify that it is the pedal with your foot by not letting the pedal snap all the way back. The service centre (or you) can install a felt damper pad to mute the sound.

I know this is a old thread but I have an exact same sound coming from my 12/2017 Model S. "Pumping"/ creaking sound when autopilot brakes coming from front left wheel. The sound comes just before the car comes to full stop. Did you ifonul have the car checked and was there something wrong? When breaking manually there no sound.

I had an S100D loaner that made this noise from the left front quadrant of the car when AP braked hard at low speeds. Sounds like an ABS modulator cycling to me.

I took an audio recording of it and emailed it to the tech at the service center and he checked the car in for service as soon as I returned it saying it wasn’t normal.

My Model 3 makes no such noise in identical conditions.

I searched for a similar topic, but could not find anything similar.

My S90D is a couple of weeks old now. I love everything about the car, but one thing nags me: when on AP, in stop and go traffic, the brakes engage - in a pretty abrupt way and quite late IMO - but what bothers me the most is a relatively loud 'thump' when the brakes engage. It sounds like a mechanical something (pump?) engaging (which would make some sense I guess), but it could also sound like a loose something (caliper holder?) in the braking mechanism.

Now, the same *does not* happen when pressing the brake pedal, regardless of how hard of a stop. The sounds comes from the left/front (driver's) side. It also seems to be louder if there was an acceleration shortly after followed by a brake (to zero or close to 0mph).

Anyone noticed anything similar to this? Not sure if I should be worried or just get used to it...
I have the exact same issue on my 2018 Model S 100D. Has anyone had any luck getting Tesla to fix this? It doesn't bother me that much any longer, but it is disturbing to passengers and I assume it would be disturbing to potential buyers of the car if I ever wanted to sell it.

I have a 2017 Model S and it makes the same sound on hard stops when it's in Auto pilot during stop and go traffic. 20190912_154838.jpg