Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise when sitting in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past month I sit in my car for lunch and watch the TV on the screen. Even though it has not been driven for around 5 hours, when I get in, the car makes a constant fairly loud whirring. This is also there when climate is turned off. It remains there for the full hour while in the car. This only happens when I get in the car.
Its really annoying because you can hear it over the programme I’m watching.
I know it’s normal for the fans to keep running when you have finished driving but this is many hours after driving.
Does anyone know what it may be and is it normal on an MC Tesla 3 2021?

Last edited:
Haven't got the Inception trailer on a freeze frame, have you?

(sorry, not very helpful)

All you can really do is book a service request.. should be a fairly easy thing to demo, and possibly also see another car while you're there (assuming mobile service can't do it)

For the past month I sit in my car for lunch and watch the TV on the screen. Even though it has not been driven for around 5 hours, when I get in, the car makes a constant fairly loud whirring. This is also there when climate is turned off. It remains there for the full hour while in the car. This only happens when I get in the car.
Its really annoying because you can hear it over the programme I’m watching.
I know it’s normal for the fans to keep running when you have finished driving but this is many hours after driving.
Does anyone know what it may be and is it normal on an MC Tesla 3 2021?

I don't have a heat pump car but I would say that's the kind of noise that could potentially come from a heat pump compressor. I would speculate that it may be that the physical isolation is not in position correctly to damp the sound (rubber mountings and/or noise deadening cover). It could be running in some circumstances even without HVAC as it is also used to warm or cool the battery pack. Worth checking out with the Service Centre I would say.

Reactions: Tigermad and Durzel
Sounds quite a deep, bassy noise. Not something that I’ve noticed in mine.

Have you tried a reset? Have you tried it with all air con and fans totally off? Have you tried camp mode?

If you try any of the suggestions, it may give a clue as to the cause.
Thanks for the reply. I have tried all those. I can’t tell in camp mode because the aircon is on so hard to tell.

Reactions: Stranger Dings
My 2021 M3 LR with heatpump never sounds like that at all, cold or hot weather. When preheating it makes more noise, but never such a bass like hum.
Can I respectfully suggest a visit to the S.C. to have it checked out? If it is considered normal (within spec....) then no harm done. Better safe than sorry
Thanks. I’ve booked the car in for a service but it’s not for 10 days. Let’s see what they say.

Reactions: Cloggie
I noticed that exact same noise when I collected my car 3 weeks ago, but since I'd put in a Supercharger as my destination on the navigation, I assumed it was associated with the pre-conditioning of the battery. However, it continued to make it even after I left the supercharger and lasted for about 20 mins.

I've not heard it again, but I also haven't preconditioned the battery at any point since either...

Reactions: Tigermad
I noticed that exact same noise when I collected my car 3 weeks ago, but since I'd put in a Supercharger as my destination on the navigation, I assumed it was associated with the pre-conditioning of the battery. However, it continued to make it even after I left the supercharger and lasted for about 20 mins.

I've not heard it again, but I also haven't preconditioned the battery at any point since either...

That certainly reinforces the notion that it is the heat pump or recirculating pump related to heating/cooling the battery pack.

Not related to the OP, but for at least 2 hours *after* a short journey (5 miles approx) my M3 is still making this noise (video attached)

is this the heat pump? And if so, what is it doing 2-3 hours after the journey? Surely the power needed to run it is wasting more energy than its saving?

Ps. I've been washing the car today (unsuccessfully I might add...) but the fan/heat pump noise started again in the middle of the wash (it had stopped when I began washing the car).