Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise when sitting in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not related to the OP, but for at least 2 hours *after* a short journey (5 miles approx) my M3 is still making this noise (video attached)

is this the heat pump? And if so, what is it doing 2-3 hours after the journey? Surely the power needed to run it is wasting more energy than its saving?

Ps. I've been washing the car today (unsuccessfully I might add...) but the fan/heat pump noise started again in the middle of the wash (it had stopped when I began washing the car).
Maybe the car was enjoying being washed and was purring.

For the past month I sit in my car for lunch and watch the TV on the screen. Even though it has not been driven for around 5 hours, when I get in, the car makes a constant fairly loud whirring. This is also there when climate is turned off. It remains there for the full hour while in the car. This only happens when I get in the car.
Its really annoying because you can hear it over the programme I’m watching.
I know it’s normal for the fans to keep running when you have finished driving but this is many hours after driving.
Does anyone know what it may be and is it normal on an MC Tesla 3 2021?

Did you solve your problem? We are having a huge discussion about this problem over here:

The problem is massive and affecting hundreds of people (if not thousands) all over the world.

It’s the heat pump which doesn’t just do the climate, it looks after the battery as well, which is why it still runs when climate is off

Ok, but the noise I am talking about is caused by the coolant water pumps:

pumps.jpg

If the noise is coming from the front-left of your car (by looking at your car from the front), those are the water pumps. The heat pump is in the center of the system, not on the left. Watch my video on modelyissue.com to see where exactly is the problem. Thanks.

Ok, but the noise I am talking about is caused by the coolant water pumps:

View attachment 718873

If the noise is coming from the front-left of your car (by looking at your car from the front), those are the water pumps. The heat pump is in the center of the system, not on the left. Watch my video on modelyissue.com to see where exactly is the problem. Thanks.
The water pumps and heat pump work together, the heat pump is on the left as you’re sat in the car, if you touch the back of the screen, you’ll feel it vibrating. The heat pump scavenges the heat and the water pumps move it around the system

Last edited by a moderator:
My above post was edited to add a reference to RHD. The reason I didn’t mention that is because it is irrelevant. I said ‘sat in the car’ which doesn’t matter which seat you’re in as the heat pump is in the same place on both LHD and RHD

Reactions: fablau