Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise while braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So while out and driving today I noticed a noise that happens Everytime I come to a stop. At first I thought it was the AC as it sounded almost like water or some fluid in the dash area. However, I eventually figured out it has to do with braking. It only occurs when coming to a slow stop and only the last very but before stopping. If I brake harder, you don't hear it. My car only has 17000 miles and is a year old, so I find it hard to believe I need new rotors or brake pads. The noise is really hard to describe but it's not a screech. Anyone else have something similar or know what it could be? It got cold this week so maybe that has something to do with it? But then again, I usually play music so wouldn't hear it.

I would turn regen to low and do some harder braking down a hill. The brakes are used so lightly in typical driving that pads can get glazed. Getting them hot with multiple rapid slow downs heading down a hill may help. I seriously doubt your pads or rotors are worn out.

Turn regen on low and do 5-10 firm stops or slow-downs from above 30mph (can be faster just be safe). No need to trigger ABS but the point is to clear the surface of anything that may have accumulated or picked up. You could also spray down the wheels with a hose to knock anything loose that might be in there. If you parked next to sprinklers or had rain, there's rust that builds up between the rotors and pads. In normal cars it'd wear off within a few stops but in our cars with regen it can take weeks...

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck