Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise while sitting in back seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I’m considering buying an X and had a test Drive yesterday.
The only issue which came up was an annoying noise supposedly coming from the FWDs. Every time the car drove on an uneven road one could hear a continuous rattling. Not a classic rattling because of loose panels; hard to describe - more like a mixture between creaking and (loud) „raindrops on a window“.
You could not hear this while sitting in the front seats. The Tesla advisor said that it’s the first time he heard that and he will ask a mechanic what the issue could be.
Is this a known problem of the FWD and fixable? The noise is really annoying so that it was almost unbearable sitting in the back...
Could this just be a minor problem of the door seals?
thx, Ben

Hi all,

I’m considering buying an X and had a test Drive yesterday.
The only issue which came up was an annoying noise supposedly coming from the FWDs. Every time the car drove on an uneven road one could hear a continuous rattling. Not a classic rattling because of loose panels; hard to describe - more like a mixture between creaking and (loud) „raindrops on a window“.
You could not hear this while sitting in the front seats. The Tesla advisor said that it’s the first time he heard that and he will ask a mechanic what the issue could be.
Is this a known problem of the FWD and fixable? The noise is really annoying so that it was almost unbearable sitting in the back...
Could this just be a minor problem of the door seals?
thx, Ben
I was told it would fix itself

It's been 2 years...

The only rattle I've had is the driver's side sun visor. That has been pretty much fixed, no other noises to report at the moment. The service center was great in offering to ride along to listen to that noise when I took it in for an unrelated issue. He immediately knew what it was.
As quiet as these cars are, I think they've done a great job at eliminating rattles. But from my limited experience, the willingness to take a look/listen at my complaint was reassuring.

I rented a 2016 P90D on Turo before I bought my 2017 100D. Passengers in the second row of the P90D had similar complaints, they described it as sounding like you're on a bus. It wasn't mine, so I didn't have it looked into. No passengers in the second row of my 100D have ever had the same complaint.

thanks for your feedback.
Unfortunately I haven’t heard back from the Tesla advisor - although I’ve asked by mail as well after the test drive. (He probably didn’t believe me that I’m really considering buying an X instead of a 3...)

The only issue which came up was an annoying noise supposedly coming from the FWDs. Every time the car drove on an uneven road one could hear a continuous rattling.
I had a mobile tech pull the pinch strip covers from the leading edge of my FWD's and pad them. It was making a similar noise on rough roads. May not have been as loud as your are suggesting but noticeable and aggravating. Seemed to fix it now for over a year.

Now I am chasing a tiny rattle in the trunk lid, otherwise my car is very rattle free.