Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noisy Handsfree Calling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard complaints from people on the other end of a handsfree call about background noise?

I speak to a few people regularly when driving on the interstate (70-80 mph, relatively new asphalt) and all three complained about the quality on their end as soon as I got the car. I’m wondering if this is just a shortcoming of the Model 3, or an issue with my particular car.

Thanks!

I use Bluetooth with my iPhone X on a Nomad mat.

Did a test today - the call quality was perfect on the other end when I was stopped at a light, then apparently horrible when I got up to highway speed.

I guess it’s nothing other than poor (or no) noise cancellation. In this case, I won’t bother the service center with it at my appt today.

Do you have an Apple Watch w/ cellular (Series 3 or 4)? This has been in other forum topics. If so, turn off the cellular on the watch and retest. According to my callers, it made a difference for me. Let's hope for a future fix.
Just wanted to follow up on my previous reply...apparently v9 software has improved things for me. Caller said I sounded okay even after I turned back on the cellular on my watch.

I have had complaints as well. I do a ton of calling from my car and My old Lexus LS 460 never heard a compliant and in my 3 I have had people ask for me to call them back later or take them off blue tooth nut in GA you are not allowed to hold the phone. I have V9 and no improvement. Hoping Tesla hears enuf complaints that they try to address it.

Yup. Tire noise above 55mph is just aweful.

I’ve added the sunscreen which has helped.

I just put 18” Michelin Xi3 snows on, noted to be one of the quietest snow tires. And it’s a significant improvement. I might just run them year round. I’m Phyched these Xi3s work because that means I might find a quieter summer tire too.

I’m also hoping MaxPider mats help, as well as, Tuxmat trunk set helps.

I’ve also experimented with blocking the subwoofer vent in the rear deck where a huge amount of tire noise comes through. Not sure if blocking that impacts ventilation as well. It does cut back on bass by blocking it.

It all adds up.

I also suspect the mic could probably do better at noise cancelation.