Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noisy jolt when backing up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I made the following report to Tesla this morning, but previous experience isn't very reassuring that they will take the report seriously. Maybe someone here knows what's going on?? "This morning when we started to back out of our garage we got a severe, noisy jolt. My wife got out of the passenger seat and looked behind the car to see if we had hit something, but that was not the case. We then drove the car with no further incident. Is it safe to continue driving the car?" (FYI I did give Tesla more info to help check our logs like I turned on emergency flashers briefly at the time of occurrence, but I get the impression they get so many trouble reports that only the most severe are addressed which is why I am soliciting info on this forum. Our 2016 S is only two months old so obviously we have little experience with what others may write off as minor firmware bugs)

I made the following report to Tesla this morning, but previous experience isn't very reassuring that they will take the report seriously. Maybe someone here knows what's going on?? "This morning when we started to back out of our garage we got a severe, noisy jolt. My wife got out of the passenger seat and looked behind the car to see if we had hit something, but that was not the case. We then drove the car with no further incident. Is it safe to continue driving the car?" (FYI I did give Tesla more info to help check our logs like I turned on emergency flashers briefly at the time of occurrence, but I get the impression they get so many trouble reports that only the most severe are addressed which is why I am soliciting info on this forum. Our 2016 S is only two months old so obviously we have little experience with what others may write off as minor firmware bugs)
It occasionally happens that the rear calipers stick. This can happen more often when the calipers are wet. When you put the car in Park, it locks the second set of rear calipers to the disc. If they are wet or dirty or rusty, they may stick when you go to release them and drive the next day. The noise and jolt is caused by them unsticking suddenly. This happens fairly frequently to my car this winter now that there is more moisture, snow, etc.
This is not a problem. It is "normal". Keep calm and carry on.

Reactions: azred