Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noisy tailgate on my '21 Model Y - Any body shop pros out there that can give an opinion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a '21 Model Y that was delivered in late December of '20.
I noticed a creaking noise when the tailgate was closing. I mentioned this to a mobile tech while he was fixing a different tailgate issue, thinking it just needed some lube or something. He took the panels off and found that the sheetmetal of the door was actually making the noise not the hinge. He would squeeze on the frame and it would make the noise (like the sheets were not fused together).

Its in the shop now being fixed. The SA informed me that they are just using some structural adhesive to prevent the noise. This is the 2nd issue i have had with this tailgate, with the first being water intrusion though a hole in the tailgate somewhere.

I am a bit concerned that their fix is essentially slapping some glue on it. Should i be worried that there is some structural issue going on? ( Any body shop professionals out there to chime in?)

Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
At first they said that they applied the glue, let it dry and it the creak was still there. Then they sent it out to another body shop (which was weird because the location i took it to was a Tesla Body shop and Service center)

At the end of it all, they glued it together and it no longer makes any noise. I also see some witness marks on the tailgate hinge bolts, so im sure that was fiddled with also. I don't know if it was the correct fix, but they claim it is as good as new.

I'd take it to an independent body shop as a follow up. Explain the issue, the "fix", and let THEM evaluate it. It's impossible for anyone in this forum to help you without seeing/hearing the issue.
Good luck.

Ok I just came back from the appointment and apparently they cancelled / rescheduled my apportionment to Sept due to the parts that required for installation is not there yet. I didn't even get an email or notification about this...... Good thing I'm only 13 mins away from the service centre.

Anyways, the service centre technician said they'll be replacing the *hinge*. I'm not sure if that's the real problem though.

Update after my service visit:
Problem is solved (again, at least for now, hopefully permanent).

They did not use structural adhesive. The noise is cause by two sheets of metal moving between spot welds as the area flexes.
The fix is to pry the two sheets apart a bit to put foam insulation between the two sheets so that any movement does not result in the metal on metal rubbing sound. Simple fix.

Update after my service visit:
Problem is solved (again, at least for now, hopefully permanent).

They did not use structural adhesive. The noise is cause by two sheets of metal moving between spot welds as the area flexes.
The fix is to pry the two sheets apart a bit to put foam insulation between the two sheets so that any movement does not result in the metal on metal rubbing sound. Simple fix.
Are you able to take a picture of where they did the fix?

Reactions: jevans3