Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noisy tailgate on my '21 Model Y - Any body shop pros out there that can give an opinion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some troubleshooting on my Model Y tailgate and found the root cause of the creak. Just as described in the above post, two pieces of metal were making contact when the tailgate flexes, causing the creak. After removing the interior plastic tailgate trim, I was able to get rid of the creak by either inserting a spacer between the metal sandwich near the spot weld. Also effective was to spray lithium grease in between the sheets of metal.

The affected area is boxed in red.

tailgate (2) (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
I did some troubleshooting on my Model Y tailgate and found the root cause of the creak. Just as described in the above post, two pieces of metal were making contact when the tailgate flexes, causing the creak. After removing the interior plastic tailgate trim, I was able to get rid of the creak by either inserting a spacer between the metal sandwich near the spot weld. Also effective was to spray lithium grease in between the sheets of metal.

View attachment 728429
Would you be able to take a closer picture of your fix? Thanks!

View attachment 728429
I’m so happy I’ve found this thread. I had the same issue (potentially caused for changing the glass on the hatch twice- on warranty).
Anyway, felt didn’t do the trick but lithium grease worked wonders!!! 8$ solution!!!
I feel I have a brand new car again (which it is) , and not an old creaking bed (which sounded like when opening the hatch)

Awesome thread , super happy with the car. Thanks for posting the solution to this nagging problem.

Glad that the solution is helpful! I also had to apply the exact same fix, for the exact same problem, to my 2022 Model Y. It’s pretty amazing that cars manufactured 1.5 years apart would suffer from the same issues, which means that this is really a design problem.

View attachment 728429
Dude if I could buy you two cases of beer right now I would! You saved my behind on a trip to the service center and dealing with all that. A MILLION THANK YOUS for this post! I used a wood shim and broke it off worked like a charm!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: Emira
I think i have this exact same problem on a Sept 22 Chinese MY in the UK. Symptoms seem to match exactly. I will have a look under the trim at the weekend and have a go at fixing if it seems to be this. Too much hastle taking to a service centre if its that simple to fix. 🤞

I've been living with this same exact squeaking for over a year on my 21' MYP! Saved myself the hassle of the service center by using a flat-blade screwdriver to slightly pry apart the panels at that location. Less than 1/4". You can figure out the best spot by squeezing the panels together with your fingers while rocking the hatch up and down at the opening end with your other hand. When you're squeezing the right spot, the squeaking should stop. The spot I pried apart was to the left of where the glass heater wires attach to the glass, close to the preexisting structural glue. Your location may differ. Time will tell if the squeak returns, but I'll let y'all know.

How difficult is to remove the trim to reach to that spot?
It takes seconds. With the hatch fully open, pull it off with your fingers, starting on the sides where they overlap the lower panel. It's held on with fewer than 10 plastic clips.

Dude if I could buy you two cases of beer right now I would! You saved my behind on a trip to the service center and dealing with all that. A MILLION THANK YOUS for this post! I used a wood shim and broke it off worked like a charm!
Thanks! I went with wood shims also after trying rubber weather seal and felt, they just weren't dense enough and still allowed the flexing/creaking. Wood shims were perfect.

I've been living with this same exact squeaking for over a year on my 21' MYP! Saved myself the hassle of the service center by using a flat-blade screwdriver to slightly pry apart the panels at that location. Less than 1/4". You can figure out the best spot by squeezing the panels together with your fingers while rocking the hatch up and down at the opening end with your other hand. When you're squeezing the right spot, the squeaking should stop. The spot I pried apart was to the left of where the glass heater wires attach to the glass, close to the preexisting structural glue. Your location may differ. Time will tell if the squeak returns, but I'll let y'all know.

It takes seconds. With the hatch fully open, pull it off with your fingers, starting on the sides where they overlap the lower panel. It's held on with fewer than 10 plastic clips.
Good thread. I may work up the ambition to fix it myself. Might have the earliest example. I have an August 2020 creaker. The creak happens on opening right at the end where I think it creaks as it is stop and wiggling a little.