Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noisy wiper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Model S, and can't say I love my wipers on it. I already tried cleaning the blade, but it makes lots of noise when it changes direction. I know a wiper should make some noise when it goes form one direction to the next, but this is substantially louder than all my other vehicles.

Is this normal or common? Anything I can do to help with the noise?

Like a loud flop. Take the sound a normal wiper makes when it gets to the end of the stroke and starts to return, then amplify it by 20x.
Ah yes! I know that sound!
I would look at the design of the wiper and see if there's too much slack in the wiper blade and frame itself. After inspection, see if one side is more loose than the other to determine if it's an isolated problem, or just inherent in those specific wipers. If nothing is obviously wrong then you might try changing brands. I use Bosch Icon blades. I'm not sure what brand or style comes new on a Model S though.
Sorry I couldn't be more help. Maybe other new Model S owners will chime in with their experiences.

One of the worst things about the Model S are the wipers. Its a minor gripe but they are AWFUL. Mine are also loud and stutter up and down my windshield. Im not ready, yet, to drop $50 on new (quality) blades.

I have never used RainX before. seen the commercials, etc and I wonder if this would help with the noise or just be a waste of my time and money?

Normally I try to stick with OEM wipers. Many manufacturers even sell just inserts for the wipers, which if you do that, and can spend the extra few minutes to install them will find a much better product in all seasons vs whatever your local auto parts store sells. Inserts are generally less money as well.

Besides the subpar wipers which I too agree, I must ask if others also find the visibility just difficult even bad through it's windshield when raining?

It's almost like some sort of constant glare at night when it's raining with the wipers skipping across the windscreen.