Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noisy wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

birdsquared

Fan-man (too old to be a fanboi)
May 15, 2020
Burnaby, BC
I haven't been driving much in the rain (haven't been driving much period). I had mobile service come out to adjust my driver's side windshield wiper because it was hitting the A panel on the upstroke, and that has been fixed. However, I'm noticing a slight thumping noise on every stroke of the wipers, and I am unsure if this is normal or if I need another call into servicing.
(I have a short clip but I don't know how to add a video to this post - upload is seemingly limited to photos).

Pickup a set of Bosch Envision OEs, use the right adapter (no 4 I I remember correctly) and break off a tiny piece of plastic that blocks the washer nozzles and prevents full engagement... never worry about wiper chatter again.

PSA: They are pricey but you have to pay to play and you get what you pay for.

Ah, in that case might be the curvature of the windshield (which varies on Model 3s and can be very odd), perhaps some interaction with any coating, sealant (including ceramic or glassparency etc) washer fluid and whats used to wash the car.

Here is a longer video where the slightly different noises at the two end stages of the wiping can be heard:
https://youtu.be/W7YZHaMJMS0

So - normal (within spec) or something to call out service for?

Mine's the same if dry - is yours quieter when wet? Mine can make some noise still when wet too, usually when it's just barely so.

I hesitate to say it's fine/normal (especially since I don't like it being noisier than past vehicles), but it just might be.

So Mobile service came out today, replaced the wiper blades and there is a "slight" reduction in the noise, especially at the top of the stroke, and he said to keep an eye (ear) on it, and make another appointment if the noise returns to its earlier intensity. He said that it is 'possible' that the wiper arms are slightly off and so a replacement of those might be called for, but he also said that from his knowledge, Model 3s have slightly noisier wipers than other cars, so it might just be something to get used to...