Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 for a model X in US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having trouble finding availability for the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 tires for the model X.
For the model S it seems easy... The 245/45R19 seems commonly available at a local tire shop and at discount tires and other places online.

I'm in the Denver area but also looking online.

However for the tires for the X I'm not having much luck. I've looked for the nokian r2s in several sizes... SUV 265/50R19 (the idea being get 4 new 19 inch wheels), SUV 265/45R20, SUV 275/45R20 and only the 275/45R20 is in stock anywhere... But if I understand correctly I would need two of each type of the r20 tires?

So should I be trying to special order something in? Try some other size such as getting the 275 throughout? Switch to the wrg3 which is in stock and just go with those or switch to a different brand?

Thanks.

I'm having trouble finding availability for the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 tires for the model X.
For the model S it seems easy... The 245/45R19 seems commonly available at a local tire shop and at discount tires and other places online.

However for the tires for the X I'm not having much luck. I've looked for the nokian r2s in several sizes... SUV 265/50R19 (the idea being get 4 new 19 inch wheels), SUV 265/45R20, SUV 275/45R20 and only the 275/45R20 is in stock anywhere... But if I understand correctly I would need two of each type of the r20 tires?

So should I be trying to special order something in? Try some other size such as getting the 275 throughout? Switch to the wrg3 which is in stock and just go with those or switch to a different brand?

Thanks.
I would special order the size that you want or need, while I've never used the wrg3 they have recieved good reviews from people here on TMC and might be a fine alternative, excepting if you're going up to ski often

SUV 265/45R20, SUV 275/45R20 and only the 275/45R20 is in stock anywhere... But if I understand correctly I would need two of each type of the r20 tires?

Glad I'm not the only one having this problem. Would it be bad to put 4 275/45R20's on there instead of 2 265's and 2 275's?

The Nokian site shows only 255 & 285 for the R2's. So what should I choose, or is there no safe option?

Last edited:
Here -- found these at Discount tire. Only the fronts are 265/50 instead of 265/45. Is that bad?

hakkos2.jpg

Glad I'm not the only one having this problem. Would it be bad to put 4 275/45R20's on there instead of 2 265's and 2 275's?

The Nokian site shows only 255 & 285 for the R2's. So what should I choose, or is there no safe option?

The Nokian website lists the R2 for cars separately from the R2 SUV version. For the X you want the SUV version. Are you looking at the car version?

An update:
yes, tiresbyweb.com got the relevant tires in stock for all options... the 19 inch, and the relevant types of 20 inch tires.
However, unlike AndreyATC we went for the 265 for the front instead of the 255... we were matching the original Tesla OEM tires, although from what I read perhaps narrower is better:
SKU:NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV TIRES-T430137 265/45R20 108 R X
SKU:NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV TIRES-T428376 275/45R20 110 R XL

For the wheels we did tirerack.com. The site seems to know what works for the X... but I was confused about wheel width as they were suggesting anything from 8inch to 10inch for the front and the back. I went for 9 inch front and 10 inch back to match Tesla OEM.
20X9 AXIS for the front
20X10 AXIS for the back.
Including TPMS (added cost, but tirerack guides you through)
also valve sleeves(added cost, but tirerack guides you through)
... and also they included everything else required for our local tire place to do the rest ... like the lug nuts and adapters.
Those wheels come in black, black+silver, and silver. We liked the black best but was out of stock, so we ended up with the black+silver.

Everything arrived within a week, and the 4 wheels and 4 tires fit in the car to transport to the tire place (just).
Everything was installed no issue and we had a nice snowfall earlier in the week to test it out.

IMG_20171009_073354.jpg

Reactions: ModelX and IdaX
An update:
yes, tiresbyweb.com got the relevant tires in stock for all options... the 19 inch, and the relevant types of 20 inch tires.
However, unlike AndreyATC we went for the 265 for the front instead of the 255... we were matching the original Tesla OEM tires, although from what I read perhaps narrower is better:
SKU:NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV TIRES-T430137 265/45R20 108 R X

The reason i went with 255 in the front because it was also OEM size
My 20s on the car came with Michelins in those sizes, so i sold the tires and got Nokian with identical spec (255/275)

I'd also recommend tiresbyweb.com. I couldn't get anywhere with my local tire dealers on the 265's. Nokian referred me to them as well and they will have these in stock next week. They are hard to come by, so would definitely recommend ordering soon.

Thanks.
hi - may i ask what snow tires did you end up going with? i am in boulder and the nokian r2 don't come in a 265 apparently. thx

hi - may i ask what snow tires did you end up going with? i am in boulder and the nokian r2 don't come in a 265 apparently. thx

Make sure you are going for the SUV tires, nor the car version.
I've sometimes been confused myself going through some websites which claim the larger tires don't exist... but it turns out I was looking for the car tires not SUV tires.

Otherwise, I think it is a matter of stocking levels... now versus then...
This is straight from my tiresbyweb receipt:

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV Tires
SKU:NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV TIRES-T430137 265/45R20 108 R XL
Year, Make, Model, Mileage: Front:2016 tesla X 25000
2 $263.00 $526.00
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV Tires
Year, Make, Model, Mileage: Rear:2016 tesla X 25000
2 $271.00 $542.00

Also if you are in Boulder check Barnsley Tire, as they can source some nokian locally... although not as many as some online retailers.

For those that did the Nokians, was it worth it? I have the original tires on my 2016 MX, and have had no issues with the recent snow events, and going up skiing in storms. Made it through my second winter without, but keep wondering if it is worth it.