Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 Snow Tire Report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After viewing Bjorn Nyland's videos of him driving on Nokians in Norway with his P85, I was convinced to purchase two sets for our family. One set of Hakka R2's are installed on our Lexus RX450h and after several months I can report that they handle exceptionally well on a mixed bag of road conditions (Dry, Wet, Slushy, Icy and 6+ inches of snow).

The second set will be installed on the Tesla factory 19's (Winter Package) coming with my P85D. The local Toronto SC is apparently sold out of the 19' rims only, so I am staying with my order of the Winter Tire Package and will be swapping out the Pirelli's for the Hakka R2's (bought them from Kal Tire) and will sell the Pirelli's on Craig's List.

Last edited:
You do realize that Bjorn's tire were studded, right? They couldn't have been R2's.

I have the studded Hakka 7's on my Sig S. They are great, but the studs give me very little advantage in most Colorado winter conditions. I put them on the Sig S a few weeks ago, and have reconfirmed how I absolutely hate the sound of studs on dry pavement in an electric car. I call them my rice crispy tires; snap crackle, pop.

Based on a lot of reviews, the Nokian web page, and experience with the Hakka 7's, I have a set of Hakka R2's ready for my P85D when it arrives next week, and on top of that, bought a set of Hakka R2's for the Roadster. It looks like we are getting some good snow for Christmas. I will update with snow reports then.

The rice crispy tires annoy me so much that I may replace them with R2's on the Sig this winter. If anyone wants a really good deal on some used Hakka 7's to try out, PM me. I hope that you can enjoy the snap, crackle, pop. :rolleyes:

...and have reconfirmed how I absolutely hate the sound of studs on dry pavement in an electric car. I call them my rice crispy tires; snap crackle, pop.

I've grown to hate the sound in my ICE car as well. I spend a lot of the winter in the mountains though and I appreciate the phenomenal ice traction especially down the hill on I-70 into Silvethorne. I decided to go non-studded for the soon-to-arrive 85D - a set of XIce3s on stock 19" Tesla wheels. Hopefully I don't regret that decision, or the choice of Michelins over Hakkas. Speaking of which, having the HPWC and the wheels in my garage is a terrible reminder of the wait until February. Sigh.

I've grown to hate the sound in my ICE car as well. I spend a lot of the winter in the mountains though and I appreciate the phenomenal ice traction especially down the hill on I-70 into Silvethorne. I decided to go non-studded for the soon-to-arrive 85D - a set of XIce3s on stock 19" Tesla wheels. Hopefully I don't regret that decision, or the choice of Michelins over Hakkas. Speaking of which, having the HPWC and the wheels in my garage is a terrible reminder of the wait until February. Sigh.

What sold me on the Hakka R2's as a non-studded ice tire is their claim of having "microscopic, multi-edged, crystal-like particles" that act like micro studs. You can see and feel them on the tires. From Nokian Cryo Crystal Concept — Nokian Tires:

The secret of this new non-studded tire is in its rubber compound that includes microscopic, multi-edged, crystal-like particles that are diamond-rough. The crystals operate like built-in studs as they grab the driving surface with their sharp and tough grip edges.

The Nokian Cryo Crystal Concept boosts the optimal lateral and longitudinal grip of the tire. The excellent winter grip of this new product can be felt especially on slippery ice, where the tire stops several metres quicker from a speed of 80 km/h than the predecessor model which already had excellent grip on ice.

@ Mayhemm

Yes Bjorn is running the studded versions on his P85, however he featured a review of another owner's 85 with Auto Pilot that had the R2's on it. Additionally, when you order a S in Norway Tesla offers both Studded and Non Studded (R2's) in their Winter Tire packages. For me in the frozen North, the Hakka R2's are great tires overall.

@ Mayhemm

Yes Bjorn is running the studded versions on his P85, however he featured a review of another owner's 85 with Auto Pilot that had the R2's on it. Additionally, when you order a S in Norway Tesla offers both Studded and Non Studded (R2's) in their Winter Tire packages. For me in the frozen North, the Hakka R2's are great tires overall.

It puzzles me that Tesla won't sell or support the R2s here in Canada but apparently put them on cars in Norway?

When I got my car last autumn I waited until december for the R2's. They were very low in stock. The 19" 45 is not such a common dimension and I think Nokian didn't produce enough of them last year at least.
Tesla doesn't offer Nokians here in Canada even when they are in stock. Pirelli winter tires are the only option offered by Tesla and I've yet to hear anyone report that they are good in snow (usually the opposite). I suspect that the Pirellis are a great performance tire in cool wet conditions but that isn't really what we need in our climate. Just seems odd that Tesla insists on Pirelli in Canada but is okay with Nokian elsewhere.

Tesla doesn't offer Nokians here in Canada even when they are in stock. Pirelli winter tires are the only option offered by Tesla and I've yet to hear anyone report that they are good in snow (usually the opposite). I suspect that the Pirellis are a great performance tire in cool wet conditions but that isn't really what we need in our climate. Just seems odd that Tesla insists on Pirelli in Canada but is okay with Nokian elsewhere.
Guys I just had it confirmed today that Tesla Toronto is now selling the Hakka R2s and has them in stock.
From what I heard they are not very competitively priced though, over $500 each. It will be interesting to hear what other Locations report.

Guys I just had it confirmed today that Tesla Toronto is now selling the Hakka R2s and has them in stock.
From what I heard they are not very competitively priced though, over $500 each. It will be interesting to hear what other Locations report.

Haha I sent several emails regarding this a few months back. Wondering why the R2s weren't available to us yet were available in Europe. Glad to see that they're now available here as well.
My set, R2s purchased from Kal Tire on the Tesla base 19's are sitting in the garage awaiting their D to arrive

Good news! I would have paid a premium for the R2s from Tesla knowing that I could have them service the tires afterward.

Here in Burlington, Vermont, we're 200 miles from the Boston Service Center, so another viable tire service option becomes necessary. I've been using the local Mercedes Benz dealer with good results. Mercedes dealers use the same Road Force wheel-balancing machine that Tesla uses, as do Audi dealers. This machine is more precise than any other, and it can sense when a wheel is even slightly out-of-round. In my experience, this is a much better option than using a tire dealer for mounting and balancing.

I always attach a set of printed instructions to the dashboard to make sure that the mechanic puts the car into Jack Mode before lifting it. Very important. It's also important to mention the torque spec for the lug nuts: 129 lb/ft. This is a higher torque setting than any other car they've likely serviced, and is best achieved by hand-torquing with a torque wrench.

FYI they will now work on any tires and rims as long as we sign a waiver.

Does anybody else find this bizarre? I have always gone to third-party shops for rims and tires on other cars... I don't think I've ever purchased tires from a dealer... and had no such nonsense about waivers and questions over whether they will or will not work on a car with them. Obviously I don't expect them to provide warranty on after-market tires or rims. And FWIW, I have not received any grief whatsoever from Tesla over my summer Rial Lugano rims nor my winter Nokian tires. Just sayin'.

Does anybody else find this bizarre? I have always gone to third-party shops for rims and tires on other cars... I don't think I've ever purchased tires from a dealer... and had no such nonsense about waivers and questions over whether they will or will not work on a car with them. Obviously I don't expect them to provide warranty on after-market tires or rims. And FWIW, I have not received any grief whatsoever from Tesla over my summer Rial Lugano rims nor my winter Nokian tires. Just sayin'.

The difference is that Tesla is a manufacturer, not a dealer. If the manufacturer puts it on, they are endorsing that it's been tested and they will stand behind it. The only reason it's bizarre is because of the sue first and ask questions later mentality.