Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nokian R3 winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post on TMC,

Proud owner of my first Tesla... the Model Y AWD.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any choices for winter tires as of end of October. The only choice left is the Nokia R3, but the issue I'm afraid of is that they also have a different version the R3 SUV which of course there is no stock for.

Any suggestions out there... the Model 3 weighs in at 3,800 pounds whereas the Model Y comes in at 4,400 pounds... and the R3 non SUV version seems to be more for the lower weight Model 3.

Any thoughts or suggestions about going with the base R3 vs the R3 SUV? I don't have a choice but just curious if any of you have the base R3 winter tires on your Model Y?

Thank you very much!

My first post on TMC,

Proud owner of my first Tesla... the Model Y AWD.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any choices for winter tires as of end of October. The only choice left is the Nokia R3, but the issue I'm afraid of is that they also have a different version the R3 SUV which of course there is no stock for.

Any suggestions out there... the Model 3 weighs in at 3,800 pounds whereas the Model Y comes in at 4,400 pounds... and the R3 non SUV version seems to be more for the lower weight Model 3.

Any thoughts or suggestions about going with the base R3 vs the R3 SUV? I don't have a choice but just curious if any of you have the base R3 winter tires on your Model Y?

Thank you very much!
The R3 SUV has aramid in the sidewalls of the tire which supposed make it more resistant to punctures. The XL designation is what separates the load limit from a fire for the 3 vs the Y.

Tl;dr
The R3 XL is for the Y
The R3 is for the 3
The R3 SUV XL is for the Y and has tougher sidewalls. Not sure if they make this for the 3.

FWIW, back in the day I had Nokian Hakkas on my BMW 535i with studs, and it was unstoppable in the snow and ice... Well unless you high-centered on a snow-bank... I've used Blizzaks before and the R3's prior to the Hakka's and they were worlds better. Handling-wise, they felt a bit 'floaty' when compared to my stock all-season Goodyear run-flats I had on it. But I never got stuck and was never in a situation with that car driving 80+ miles a day on highways, and back roads where I had a problem. Again, not Tesla specific, but I my experience with Nokian's has been nothing but positive.

I wish I could get the Hakkapeliitta 10 EV, but - unfortunately studded tires are not allowed in most European countries.

It has been years since I had to buy winter tires, and with the MY I have to re-learn how to pick a good one, so I hope someone can help me out with some specific questions:

1. I have 19 inch Gemini wheels - does it make enough functional difference to make it worthwhile to buy a new set of rims (e.g. narrower ones), or it's good enough to buy rubber only and use them on my original rims?

2. Which compatible (weight, etc.) non-studded winter tire(s) offer the best safety on ice and snow for MY?

3. What sizes/parameters work best? I know that winter tires should be preferably narrower, but what are the "magic numbers" for MY?

Nokian haklapeliittas are the best winter tires. Sure they are a bit spendy but it’s potentially your life not to mention your car at stake.
I never try to save money on winter tires - I always get the best based on review. Unfortunately, since I'm in Europe Hakkapeliittas are not legal here (studded tires are banned in most European countries). I still haven't gotten winter tires, but I will have to soon. Any other recommendation? Which non studded tires are really good for the MY specifically? And what size?

I never try to save money on winter tires - I always get the best based on review. Unfortunately, since I'm in Europe Hakkapeliittas are not legal here (studded tires are banned in most European countries). I still haven't gotten winter tires, but I will have to soon. Any other recommendation? Which non studded tires are really good for the MY specifically? And what size?
I’d buy the NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R3 255/45R19 104T XL. My favorite non studded winter tire. I had them for my bolt, they were amazing. They are even low rolling resistance, so I didn’t really notice a range hit. Aren’t a super quiet tire though.

I’d buy the NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R3 255/45R19 104T XL. My favorite non studded winter tire. I had them for my bolt, they were amazing. They are even low rolling resistance, so I didn’t really notice a range hit. Aren’t a super quiet tire though.
Thank you for the recommendation! I didn't know that these were not studded. Do these fit the original Gemini 19 rims of the MY LR?

We have had Nokian tires on our ICE cars in the past, mostly the Hakkapiilta. Using the WR G4's on our Model 3. Just went out in our first snow storm here in the Willamette Valley, Or. Al I can say is in 4" of snow and slush, they work just fine.