Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nokian WRG4 - Just Got New Rubber!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to get some feedback on how they hold up in hot summers? I'm considering getting them for all year driving in NY instrad of winters and summers/all seasons.
They are not as grippy on hot days, but durability-wise I will get about the same mileage out of them as I got out of my original Michelins (around 50,000 km/35,000 miles). Not the longest tread life but not bad on my heavy S.

Would love to get some feedback on how they hold up in hot summers? I'm considering getting them for all year driving in NY instrad of winters and summers/all seasons.
I have used the previous versions WR-g3, WR-g2, WR. On the S and previous cars. Heat isn't a problem, except maybe in Arizona or New Mexico on the hottest days.

Would love to get some feedback on how they hold up in hot summers? I'm considering getting them for all year driving in NY instead of winters and summers/all seasons.
Just put some on our X. If they do as well as the G3’s I’ll be happy. I’m not expecting them to though as I won’t be able to rotate these across the axle as I could with the G3’s.

About all I can think of is that you’ll kill their winter attributes a lot quicker. Last winter on my G3’s was a bit sketchy. Could definitely tell they were done as winter tires. Based on that I would only expect to get two winters worth out of them depending on when you start using them.

Just put some on our X. If they do as well as the G3’s I’ll be happy. I’m not expecting them to though as I won’t be able to rotate these across the axle as I could with the G3’s.

About all I can think of is that you’ll kill their winter attributes a lot quicker. Last winter on my G3’s was a bit sketchy. Could definitely tell they were done as winter tires. Based on that I would only expect to get two winters worth out of them depending on when you start using them.
Nokian winter tires (including WR-g*) have winter tire wear bars to tell you when you need to stop using them as winter tires.

Reactions: goneskiian
Hey Guys!

just an update and its been a while. I think its about 15k on these tires now and efficiency for me has been around 450wh/mi average. Keep in mind im not on flats and a lot of up and downhills.

so far it looks like its worn down to the snowflake. Meaning its not safe for snow anymore. Granted the car is this heavy I’m surprised it lasted this long!

still plenty if good tread for the summer though!

Attachments

• C068315F-4D13-443D-85DA-1569FDB3F413.jpeg
    C068315F-4D13-443D-85DA-1569FDB3F413.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 247
  • FA02D778-0710-429D-AAC7-F47A7A218606.jpeg
    FA02D778-0710-429D-AAC7-F47A7A218606.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 8CFE9ADD-F3A6-4E14-97DC-7E677DF1F955.jpeg
    8CFE9ADD-F3A6-4E14-97DC-7E677DF1F955.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 1B124740-17EA-48AC-A795-4334E551EBAB.jpeg
    1B124740-17EA-48AC-A795-4334E551EBAB.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 192
  • A2146EAA-1254-49A4-BE15-7A5303F8F587.jpeg
    A2146EAA-1254-49A4-BE15-7A5303F8F587.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 193
so far it looks like its worn down to the snowflake. Meaning its not safe for snow anymore. Granted the car is this heavy I’m surprised it lasted this long!
This is a common misconception "heavy vehicle equals short tire life". It would only be true if the tires were the same size as a lighter vehicle, the tires were undersized for the load, or the pressure is too low. Putting larger tires on heavier vehicles makes the life equivalent (or should if the car manufacturer chose the correct tire size, didn't change from all-season touring to summer performance, mess up the suspension geometry, or some such).

Reactions: StealthP3D
Update after 2 days. Still great as they are pretty much now worked in.
- Road noise is very quiet, impressed about this and comparable to the OE Contis
- Not scientific but over the same road I ran Decibel X. OE CONTIs averaged 86.9 db and the Nokians averaged 85.6
- Energy-wise still comparable during my commute. OE Contis gave me about 450-480wh/mi since it is San Francisco and Marin (hills) on the way to work. Nokians came out about 468wh/mi on the same route.
- Feel was great, more luxurious to be honest in my opinion and took on bumps much better than the Contis. There does appear to be a very slight and softer feel to the turns but not a lot, just noticeable. I also have an BMW M3 with Potenzas and that car feels tight and crisp, but this is an SUV so I don't expect it to feel like a sports car. Also I'm not running the P100D wtih 22inchers!

View attachment 395715View attachment 395721 View attachment 395717 View attachment 395718 View attachment 395719 View attachment 395720
i just ordered the WR G4's for my x -- how were they in the Snow? ( in im New england)

i just ordered the WR G4's for my x -- how were they in the Snow? ( in im New england)
My experience is with the WR, WR-g2, and WR-g3. Basically they are as good as all but the very best snow tires, but if I lived in an area with a real winter, I would get the very best snow tires (Michelin X-Ice, Nokian R3). The WR series are for places where there is a winter but not that much of one, trips to snowy areas, etc. such as DFW where I live these days. In DFW there are ICE days where everything is coated with ice. The WR series has been great for this over the years while not melting off when the days get warm. Of course, if you always avoid driving when the roads are messy, then you can use anything other than summer and summer performance tires. (My two cents)