Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nomad wireless charger? (does it work)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone owns a wireless charger for Tesla Model 3. I currently charge with a wire, its kinda slow but still workable if you absolutely need to charge. Since most the time I think phones charge faster when near empty. But I think the charging in the Tesla is slower than plugging into a regular outlet.

But how are wireless charging? Can I except a decent charge for the convenience of not having to find wires? Especially that I could pick up the phone to check something quickly then set it back down with no wires?

Trying to negotiate a trade with someone on Craigslist for a brand new Nomad charger. He really wants our trade to be equal to $100. Even if maybe my trade item used to be worth $100 full retail but got discounted. But seems the Nomad never really got discounted and stayed at its $100 price range, even though its just a phone charger. There are a few people on Craigslist selling it for around $50, but they are far away, and its only like 2 sellers I recall seeing. Not as many as something like an iPhone. I like to use this opportunity to trade so I can get rid of some of my things knowing this guy probably won't cash for it, which is probably why he is willing to work with me.

I don't mind, I just hope it works and gives a decent charge. Would kinda suck if 2 hours later it only gave a 10% charge, then just rather use the cable. .

Just wondering if anyone owns a wireless charger for Tesla Model 3. I currently charge with a wire, its kinda slow but still workable if you absolutely need to charge. Since most the time I think phones charge faster when near empty. But I think the charging in the Tesla is slower than plugging into a regular outlet.

But how are wireless charging? Can I except a decent charge for the convenience of not having to find wires? Especially that I could pick up the phone to check something quickly then set it back down with no wires?

Trying to negotiate a trade with someone on Craigslist for a brand new Nomad charger. He really wants our trade to be equal to $100. Even if maybe my trade item used to be worth $100 full retail but got discounted. But seems the Nomad never really got discounted and stayed at its $100 price range, even though its just a phone charger. There are a few people on Craigslist selling it for around $50, but they are far away, and its only like 2 sellers I recall seeing. Not as many as something like an iPhone. I like to use this opportunity to trade so I can get rid of some of my things knowing this guy probably won't cash for it, which is probably why he is willing to work with me.

I don't mind, I just hope it works and gives a decent charge. Would kinda suck if 2 hours later it only gave a 10% charge, then just rather use the cable. .

If you want the fastest charge possible, best bet is to plug a 12V USB adapter into the “cigarette lighter” outlet and use that with a cable to your phone.

Everything else - wireless included - will be slower.

Here’s my recommendation for you:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4M4N5V/

If you want the fastest charge possible, best bet is to plug a 12V USB adapter into the “cigarette lighter” outlet and use that with a cable to your phone.

Everything else - wireless included - will be slower.

Here’s my recommendation for you:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4M4N5V/

So those USB inputs are slower? Why are they there or why can't they be faster? I thought USB was suppose to be more efficient that a cigarette lighter outlet.

I def have a cigarette USB adapter somewhere in my home. Is the anker one much better over the generic ones that maybe I get as free gifts from a promo tent?

So those USB inputs are slower? Why are they there or why can't they be faster? I thought USB was suppose to be more efficient that a cigarette lighter outlet.

I def have a cigarette USB adapter somewhere in my home. Is the anker one much better over the generic ones that maybe I get as free gifts from a promo tent?

I don’t know what freebie ones you have but ... yes.

The built-in USB ports provide max 2.4a @5v. That’s 12 watts.

The Anker adapter can deliver 30W on the USB-C port.

So - yeah, get a GOOD 12V adapter (Like the one I linked) and a USB-C cable if you want fastest charge. The freebie handouts are likely no better - maybe worse - than the built in ports.

If you use the USB-A Port on the 12V charger, it’ll be the same as plugging directly into the car. You really need USB-C if you want quick charging.

I don’t know what freebie ones you have but ... yes.

The built-in USB ports provide max 2.4a @5v. That’s 12 watts.

The Anker adapter can deliver 30W on the USB-C port.

So - yeah, get a GOOD 12V adapter (Like the one I linked) and a USB-C cable if you want fastest charge. The freebie handouts are likely no better - maybe worse - than the built in ports.

If you use the USB-A Port on the 12V charger, it’ll be the same as plugging directly into the car. You really need USB-C if you want quick charging.

Well, most the time my iPhone has a decent charge, but want to use the time in the car to charge up. So far I never had an issue where my iPhone ran out of power b/c I opted to use the slow USB-A charger instead of USB-C. I would like an easy way to keep my iPhone topped off when not urgently needing to charge my iPhone, but just keep it topped off rather than run out of power.

If say I'm feeling lazy like my iPhone is at 20% left, I would be fine if my phone got an additional 20% charge on a 2 hour drive on that wireless charger. I don't know what a realistic expection should be for wireless charging in the Tesla, but in home / office setting I usually opt for wireless charging. I know its slower but I can get by without a full charge, my iPhone usually stays in my pocket until I need to text someone or do price checks at a store.

Well, most the time my iPhone has a decent charge, but want to use the time in the car to charge up. So far I never had an issue where my iPhone ran out of power b/c I opted to use the slow USB-A charger instead of USB-C. I would like an easy way to keep my iPhone topped off when not urgently needing to charge my iPhone, but just keep it topped off rather than run out of power.

If say I'm feeling lazy like my iPhone is at 20% left, I would be fine if my phone got an additional 20% charge on a 2 hour drive on that wireless charger. I don't know what a realistic expection should be for wireless charging in the Tesla, but in home / office setting I usually opt for wireless charging. I know its slower but I can get by without a full charge, my iPhone usually stays in my pocket until I need to text someone or do price checks at a store.

Then get the Nomad. I have one. It works. It’s slower than a USB-C connector. I have one of those too. It also works.

I think I will trade a sega mini and an RC boat for the Nomad Charger. His charger is new and my stuff is new. And my two items seem to be worth $100 so I guess it’s a fair trade.

I couldn’t find the nomad charger discounted online so the guy said his item is worth $100. I thought my sega mini was worth $80 but seems it’s now $60 on Walmart and the guy told me that. Can’t find the speedboat price but I say its $40 so I guess these two items are fair trade.

I don’t think the nomad charger should be worth $100. But feel like I have no choice but to accept the conditions since I couldn’t find a website with a discount price.

Someone on craigslist was selling one for $45 but too far. There were not many sellers for this product because I would have paid $45.

But thankfully the guy will accept my Dave and Busters prizes.

Last edited:

I've had the Nomad charger for a year now and it works flawlessly (though the wiring is a bit of a mess, but that's not really their fault). As others have noted, it's not the fastest way to charge, but certainly the easiest, and it's fine for me to top-up my phone while on a trip.

I think I will trade a sega mini and an RC boat for the Nomad Charger. His charger is new and my stuff is new. And my two items seem to be worth $100 so I guess it’s a fair trade.

I couldn’t find the nomad charger discounted online so the guy said his item is worth $100. I thought my sega mini was worth $80 but seems it’s now $60 on Walmart and the guy told me that. Can’t find the speedboat price but I say its $40 so I guess these two items are fair trade.

I don’t think the nomad charger should be worth $100. But feel like I have no choice but to accept the conditions since I couldn’t find a website with a discount price.

Someone on craigslist was selling one for $45 but too far. There were not many sellers for this product because I would have paid $45.

But thankfully the guy will accept my Dave and Busters prizes.

why would you spend $100 for the nomad when i just sent you one (the taptes gen 3) that works perfectly for less than half that?

why would you spend $100 for the nomad when i just sent you one (the taptes gen 3) that works perfectly for less than half that?

Im trading stuff. A new sega mini and a RC boat. Since I got them at Dave and Busters I know I paid less than $50 for those two prizes.

Edit***

But now I'm really thinking to do the Taptes instead. Mainly b/c it comes with splitter cables so I can still use sentry mode or plug in Xbox controller. And also being able to charge landscape view, which is even better if I am feeling lazy. It's $40.

If I get the Nomad, YouTube videos say the Nomad needs both those USB slots and you need to find a work around, and it seems it includes nothing. Seems Taptes already includes the necessary cables for this work around so I can still use sentry mode / xbox controller without unplugging stuff.

And with discounts which took off about $6 & has free shipping. So after everything its $36.62

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X2RJ2V4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATCD34YX7TJXH&psc=1

Last edited:
Im trading stuff. A new sega mini and a RC boat. Since I got them at Dave and Busters I know I paid less than $50 for those two prizes.

Edit***

But now I'm really thinking to do the Taptes instead. Mainly b/c it comes with splitter cables so I can still use sentry mode or plug in Xbox controller. And also being able to charge landscape view, which is even better if I am feeling lazy. It's $40.

If I get the Nomad, YouTube videos say the Nomad needs both those USB slots and you need to find a work around, and it seems it includes nothing. Seems Taptes already includes the necessary cables for this work around so I can still use sentry mode / xbox controller without unplugging stuff.

And with discounts which took off about $6 & has free shipping. So after everything its $36.62

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X2RJ2V4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATCD34YX7TJXH&psc=1

just a heads up, the taptes you linked to here is the second generation one. if you have a big phone, it will not fit vertically. didn't see you post which model of iphone you have, but it's something to think about if it's one of the bigger ones...the gen 3 has a smaller ledge on the bottom so that larger phones will fit. i just upgraded my gen 2 to gen 3 for that reason (when i got my s20+ i found it would not fit on the gen 2 but fits just fine on the gen 3).

the gen 3 does have a 10% coupon on amazon right now compared to the 5% for the gen 2, so that'll help make the prices a little bit closer.

here's the link to the gen 3 again:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08936DH4Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the only other real difference between gen 2 and gen 3 is that the third gen has a curved top, which allows you to lift the charging tray all the way up without knocking the lid back down. the gen 2 will start to push the lid down as you lift the charging tray and get towards the top. minor annoyance, but as someone who has had both i figured i'd throw it out there in case that matters to you.

all that being said, if you have a smaller iphone and are sure it will fit on the gen 2 (and the curved top doesn't matter to you), i guess there's no real reason not to get it since the iphone won't take advantage of the 15w charging on the gen 3 anyway. just wanted to make sure you had all the data to make an informed decision.

My Nomad came with 2x splitter cables, but that was a year ago they may have changed packaging.

I went with the Nomad. The guy on Craigslist accepted my trade offer of a new Sega Mini & new RC boat. The Sega Mini was worth $60 retail and I assume the RC boat is around $40 when compared to other D&B prizes tix to retail cost. Technically it costed me 30k Dave and Busters tickets. And I get around 900 tickets per dollar on average so my cost was around (30000/900) $33.33

The guy was pretty nice and he also owns a Tesla so he passionate about the brand, which is nice. Thankfully it works and its brand new condition. It def felt like premium material.

The video I posted helped me predict the product quality without seeing it, especially when he shakes them around to simulate car movement. I feel this will make charging must easier and make driving much safer.