Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nomad wireless charger, new or old?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else facing a similar dilemma?
May stick with the new one, but I am sure the integrated battery has some benefits ...

From nomad:

There's been an interesting development with our production of the Wireless Charger for Model 3 that requires a decision and response on your end. Please find a link to the required response form near the bottom of this email.

Tesla V9 update has increased the output of the front console USB ports, rendering the integrated battery unit in the Generation 1 version of Wireless Charger unnecessary. Would you like to switch your order to the Generation 2 version that does not include an integrated battery and is instead optimized for all newer Model 3's and the V9 update (shipping Nov 30)?

Background / Technical:

The original version of our Wireless Charger included an integrated battery unit that worked with the two 7.5W USB ports in the front console of the Model 3 to make up for the circuitry loss associated with wireless power, and therefore provide the full 7.5W through the wireless pad.

Although not well documented, Tesla's firmware update to V9 includes an increase to the amount of power that is outputted from the USB ports in the front console. After 9 months of testing, we found that V9 offers the most stable power draw for the Wireless charger yet. Not only that, but the Wireless Charger was able to draw considerably more power (while still in a safe zone) from the USB ports.

We also tested the Wireless Charger with one of its two power cables plugged into one console USB port, and the other power cable plugged into a USB splitter that was plugged into the second console USB port. This setup allows for the use of Dashcam, USB audio, and an additional powered USB port while supplying the Wireless Charger with enough power to wirelessly charge two phones without an integrated battery unit in the charger.

After extensive testing we concluded that the integrated battery unit is not necessary for the Wireless Charger to supply 7.5W on each side of the pad simultaneously, even when its power cables are plugged into one or two USB splitters. We would like to give you the option to switch your order to the new version of the Wireless Charger that does not include an integrated battery unit.

Whether you choose to switch to the new version or stay with the original version, please follow the link below to our form to send us your response:

If we do not receive your response to our form by November 4 (11/04/2018), we will ship you the newest version.

Thank you for your attention and response. If you have any questions, please feel free to respond to this email.

They're saving money while only giving you a slight discount.
I don't see any discount. It seems to cost the same as the battery version?

Also I wonder what if Tesla decided to change the USB power back to whatever it was. You know Tesla does these regressions all the time and you never know when. All of a sudden the v2 becomes weaker again w/o the battery. What is Nomad going to do? They should simply offer both versions for sale, obviously with 2 different price points.

V1 for me unless there’s a huge price drop for V2. From one review online, V2 can’t be powered by just 1 USB port, if for some reason that situation ever arose (though honestly, I can’t see a need to do that). The only benefit I can think of for V2 is that there’s one less thing to break down without an integrated battery.

I don't see any discount. It seems to cost the same as the battery version?

Also I wonder what if Tesla decided to change the USB power back to whatever it was. You know Tesla does these regressions all the time and you never know when. All of a sudden the v2 becomes weaker again w/o the battery. What is Nomad going to do? They should simply offer both versions for sale, obviously with 2 different price points.

I agree with this. They should keep both versions and increase the output of the battery version to support QC3.0 to support android fast wireless charging. The version without the battery should be discounted 30-40%

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Thanks for posting the email from Nomad as it sheds light on the trade off with v1 & v2. I am supposedly in the shipment at the end of November. I emailed them asking which version I will be getting. No response.

I am a little perturbed Nomad did not reduce the price by removing the battery. Besides, with Tesla v9 software allowing a Dashcam, I was planning on using a low-profile USB stick for a clean look, and only wanted to use one USB cable and wished to use the Nomad battery to achieve 7.5W of charging on two phones. I guess I could accept using USB hub if push comes to shove. All I can say is the picture on the website portrays a battery not a paper weight.

I haven't received this email yet mine is scheduled to ship 11/4 - 11/9. I wonder which one I'll get? I wonder which one I want to get?

Same here, I received an email a few days ago about a slight delay in the shipment and that I'd get it early November, but I have not received this other email about getting V1 or V2.

Nothing but a money saving move. Get the Jeda which is cheaper for the same price. I am still waiting for mine and will be p!ssed if a non-battery version with a stainless steel slab inserted instead shows up. The whole advantage of the nomad was the integrated battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ronnie Aloha