Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nomad wireless charger, new or old?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes they actually told me this in an email but I thought they were mistaken, or confused......didn’t believe it. Happily surprised!
Surprising to me because even the unit with the battery feeding the pucks wouldn't work with just one cable plugged in (which should have just been charging the battery, right?). But then my original units were defective, so I'm never quite sure how they were supposed to function!

For sure the two sides would have to be charging at half speed with just one USB supply. But nice to know that it works. Will be a perfect solution for some folks who don't care about charging speed, and who want to keep one USB port free.

7EE60ED3-9A32-4D5C-84A6-311315F224AF.jpeg

Nomad Review

i received my Nomad today, waited about 2 weeks. Paid $129.95. Beautifully boxed, high quality unit. No way is the fit and finish the same as Taptes. This is a superior product visually, but I have to presume they work equally well.

I don't know if I got v1 or v2. It says Battery6000 aHr on the back of the pad. Here are my findings:
  • Installation is super simple, instructions are online at Nomad
  • Nomad will be sending the splitter later
  • both sides of the pad will charge while connected to just one USB port
  • I have a third party leather wallet case (with no cards in it) for my Samsung S8 Nomad warns that a wallet style case may not work properly with cards in it. The phone charges just fine with the wallet case closed.
  • If I fold the wallet case back on itself, so I can see the screen, the phone will not charge.
  • I cannot close the Tesla cover door with the wallet case open or closed, it is too thick for the cover door to close
  • I have sent a query to Nomad to see if their proprietary Leather Folio cover for S8 is thin enough to close the Tesla cover.
  • As an aside, the Samsung S8 has worked 100% of the time as a wireless key for my 3 week old 3MR with software v48.12

Reactions: Dana1
  • If I fold the wallet case back on itself, so I can see the screen, the phone will not charge.
  • I cannot close the Tesla cover door with the wallet case open or closed, it is too thick for the cover door to close
  • I have sent a query to Nomad to see if their proprietary Leather Folio cover for S8 is thin enough to close the Tesla cover.
Okay, Nomad got back to me in less than 24 hours! Good job!

Here is the situation regarding the issues above:

A wallet case will not charge if the cover is folded back on itself.
A wallet case will charge if you lay it out flat, but then you take up both slots
The Tesla charging cover door will not close if using a wallet case, either open or closed
Nomad proprietary Folio case has the same issues as a wallet case.

So there you have it, there are some minor issues with using a wallet style case. I really like the Nomad wireless charger and so does DW, she could care less about the issues and we can live with them. Also, Nomad has already put my splitter in the mail.

Received one last PM for my wife's car. Time to order (from their web site) until received was 3 days (Memphis, TN) Beautiful devices, beautiful packaging 2 splitters included, nice rubberized surface. Door won't close with pad + iPhone in slim cases, but will with just the phone, or without a phone + case. Included cables long enough to open the shelf all the way. I didn't try it with only 1 cable plugged in, nor did I try the splitters. With 2 cables, charges 2 phones side by side well. Didn't make an attempt to measure charge rate.

Great product.

Received one last PM for my wife's car. Time to order (from their web site) until received was 3 days (Memphis, TN) Beautiful devices, beautiful packaging 2 splitters included, nice rubberized surface. Door won't close with pad + iPhone in slim cases, but will with just the phone, or without a phone + case. Included cables long enough to open the shelf all the way. I didn't try it with only 1 cable plugged in, nor did I try the splitters. With 2 cables, charges 2 phones side by side well. Didn't make an attempt to measure charge rate.

Great product.
That’s strange about the closing. Plenty of clearance for phone with cases when closing the door on mine.

Our Model 3 was built in January 2018. Perhaps my shelf is a tiny bit higher than newer builds. Just watched an install video - he has no problems with a thin case. And the shiny thing the covers the part of the shelf closest to you slides on and off easily. Mine is TIGHT.