Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nomad Wireless Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize in advanced if this is in the wrong spot but I had a question.
We have a Model 3 and bought the Nomad wireless charger. The first one we got, we did not have the jeda hub yet so used the splitters to be able to have the hard drive for sentry mode and the charger pad plugged in.

That pad lasted about 3 weeks before the lights started blinking randomly and one side stopped working.

We contacted Nomad and they replaced the charging pad.

We waited a week to use it until we got the Jeda hub in order to avoid having the same issue in the event it was because of the use of the splitter. After christmas we got the hub and plugged in the Nomad wireless charger once again.

We have had a glorious 3 weeks of use before it started doing the same thing again last week. We have now unplugged the right side and can only use the left side. Before I contact Nomad again to get it replaced, we wanted to know if any of you are having similar issues. Once is a fluke but twice, I feel like either we have really bad luck or there is some sort of short circuit with our car or something,

I’ve had my Nomad for about 6 months and it has worked well with the splitters they provided. I did learn early on, though, that I had to take my phone out of its case for optimal charging. Might try that for troubleshooting.

I had the same situation that happened to me. Had it for 2 weeks and the left side/driver side decided to continue to blink and stopped charging. The left side I used the spittler to plug my USB drive for Teslacam. I just got my warrant replacement today and afraid to use it.

While browsing the Nomad site under FAQ I did find the illustration that states that the splitter side with a clear gray tag is the side that plugs into USB or devices. I'm hoping this is solution on the Wireless charging problem.

I did located the USB drive to the right side as I dont use that side as much as the left side.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200117-175505_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200117-175505_Chrome.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 403
I would swap the left and right cables to see if the problem goes from one side to the other. And try using the pad without the splitter or the Dashcam storage too. I had a lot of problems with the first USB hub I purchased. They went away after I replaced the hub.

I apologize in advanced if this is in the wrong spot but I had a question.
We have a Model 3 and bought the Nomad wireless charger. The first one we got, we did not have the jeda hub yet so used the splitters to be able to have the hard drive for sentry mode and the charger pad plugged in.

That pad lasted about 3 weeks before the lights started blinking randomly and one side stopped working.

We contacted Nomad and they replaced the charging pad.

We waited a week to use it until we got the Jeda hub in order to avoid having the same issue in the event it was because of the use of the splitter. After christmas we got the hub and plugged in the Nomad wireless charger once again.

We have had a glorious 3 weeks of use before it started doing the same thing again last week. We have now unplugged the right side and can only use the left side. Before I contact Nomad again to get it replaced, we wanted to know if any of you are having similar issues. Once is a fluke but twice, I feel like either we have really bad luck or there is some sort of short circuit with our car or something,

You might want to try the Nomad plugged into a normal pair of (full power) USB outlets someplace else (laptop, wall chargers etc) to see if its the car or the Nomad. I've had my Nomad for 6 months and its never given me any trouble (on both the splitters and, later, a Jeda).

I have a Nomad and absolutely love it.
That said - a traditional USB splitter (even the included one) isn’t your friend.

one of our forum members, Navak, built a custom USB splitter that really works well for something like this. See here: Custom USB splitter solution for M3

Long story short, a traditional splitter will divide power equally, about 1.2 amps per side. The Navak is different. On the “power” port, it outputs 2.1amps - which is best for wireless charging. The “data” port outputs 400mA which is plenty for a USB stick for Teslacam.

I strongly recommend them as the splitter.

That said - are you having the same problem with your Nomad when you remove the splitter altogether?

Reactions: Navak
To answer some questions without quoting everyone, yes the first nomad was tried on other sources and also directly plugged into the car with no splitters, no hub (we didn't have one at the time) and it just didn't work. This second one I haven't done all the other things yet and technically it is not using one of their splitters but it technically is because it connected to the Jeda Hub. Been out of town so haven't really had the opportunity to mess with it but will do so this week.
Oh to add, we only have one plugged in now and only one side works, not sure who PP got both sides to work with just one.

I would swap the left and right cables to see if the problem goes from one side to the other. And try using the pad without the splitter or the Dashcam storage too. I had a lot of problems with the first USB hub I purchased. They went away after I replaced the hub.
So tried now at lunch and swapping sides of uSB doesn't matter, the left side works and the right side continuously blinks if plugged in.
same thing happened last time except i don't remember which side was the problem.

I am on my second Nomad wireless charger for the Model 3. First unit lasted a month when first one light then the other started blinking and no charging. I tried direct connection to the ports, swapping ports, verifying port was putting out power on its own and all pointed to a faulty charging mat. Nomad did a warranty replacement and all has been fine until yesterday. The left side (connected to left port) started blinking and not charging again. Right is working for now, but I suspect it will go out too. I must say this is with very light charging use and relatively little driving. About 3 months on replacement pad.

I have had mine since day one on the 28th of December. I use it every time i drive the car with at least one phone charging, sometimes my work phone as well. No issues at all. Very happy with it. I have a thumb drive in one port and use the splitter that came with the Nomad to drive both sides of the charger.