Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Acoustic Mat (foam filler) tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Lots of posts about tires but I wanted to get some feedback from those who have not replaced with Tesla-specific tires.

I bought a set of used Arachnids that needed some minor TLC and turns out the tires were mismatched and old (multiple date codes going back to 2016). So, I am having the rims refurbished, straightened, and powder coated a medium hyper gunmetal metallic. We decided to just replace all the tires rather than piece together a good set. I decided to go with all-seasons for both wear and, of course, a bit more of an all-in-one solution. There's a few choices, but, I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4. Don't really care for opinions on the tires, but, wondered if others have experienced a big increase in noise from non-acoustic tires as well as harder all-season compounds?

I had the foam separate on 2 of my Rover 22" wheels. Created quite the balance catastrophe. They replaced all 4 under warranty. While waiting for the tires, the dealer took out the foam on all 4 tires and rebalanced. Definitely a noticeable difference in noise level. Not really loud but did notice a difference.

Reactions: 20165MS
There is NO noticeable difference between the foam tires and non-foam tires. just get any tire of the right size and you're good to go. I run falken for summer, and pirelli for winter.

Wrong. There most definitely can be a noticeable difference - I know from personal experience. It may be very little or not measurable but I did notice a difference.

I do agree with your next statement about just getting any tire. It is not worth the extra money and I would not go out of my way to get them. They were OEM tires and replaced by OEM warranty.

Reactions: rickyjb
When they took all the foam out of my tires, I di not notice a ride difference - only noise level.

Unfortunately, it is a marketing thing to differentiate tires and ask for more money.

Not quite accurate. The foam liner exists FOR A REASON.

While for some these differences may be slight under some conditions, you appear to be unable to detect any of the differences? Not trying to be pejorative, but you may wish to consider a hearing check to be on the safe side:

Tested: Do Acoustically Insulated Tires Really Hush Road Noise? – Feature – Car and Driver

In our case, I find the Model S to be far, far too noisy with regards to road and wind noise, this with both of our MS's, both Performance Ravens ('19 and '20) with 21" Arachnids (w/factory OEM Acoustic Michelins).

While for some these differences may be slight under some conditions, you appear to be unable to detect any of the differences? Not trying to be pejorative, but you may wish to consider a hearing check to be on the safe side:

Tested: Do Acoustically Insulated Tires Really Hush Road Noise? – Feature – Car and Driver

In our case, I find the Model S to be far, far too noisy with regards to road and wind noise, this with both of our MS's, both Performance Ravens ('19 and '20) with 21" Arachnids (w/factory OEM Acoustic Michelins).

Thank you for posting that article. I'm a C&D subscriber for years and must have flipped past it.....

As I suspected, it's a modest improvement. I guess if you add up various little improvements here and there, they may make a difference. In this case, just the tires isn't enough to ruin things. I wanted lower wear, all-seasons and that far outweighs the novelty of the foam mat.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
My car had Foam Michelin’s stock then replaced with same tire without the Foam. I didn’t like the road noise difference, wasn’t allot but noticeable. Recommend going OEM but the Michelin’s do only last 20k-30k in the rear

• Informative
Reactions: 20165MS
Unless you carry a sound meter with you...no audible difference.

I also switch to normal tire...no foam and no runflat...lot smoother ride without the hard rubber of runflat.

also in case of roadside emergencies..you can’t plug those tire when there’s a flat

You're kidding, right? Have a hearing check performed? The very article you link indicates the difference is negligible at best, and actually favorable for tires without insulative foam in certain conditions.. A direct quote from the article:

"If the effect appears small by our sound-meter measurements, it seemed even smaller when measured with our eardrums. We struggled to discern any significant improvement"

SMH.

I still stand by that I noticed a difference. It "seemed" louder but the tone was more noticeable without the foam. A more hollow road noise type of noise. It was noticeable but I did not have my ears calibrated so they may have been off a little..