Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-AP Model 3 Accident - Any way to get road/traffic conditions from Tesla?

I was in an accident in my Model 3 last week. Was not on autopilot. The other driver sped through a red light when I had the green at the intersection and before I could react, hit me on my front driver's side bumper. Only got a warning from the car a second before impact. Managed to sail me into the cross street. SOMEHOW, the cop decided I ran the red light (currently blaming that I was alone and the other driver had a passenger that was willing to corroborate his story where I overheard them claim I was speeding and running a red light) and charged me with reckless driving. Currently fighting the charge via a lawyer and trying to get all the possible data I can to contest this or get the charge dropped altogether. Unfortunately, the dashcam did not record the impact, and I was also strongarmed into having my car impounded so I couldn't do anything to my touchscreen after it was loaded up to clear the intersection.

I was able to get my EDR and the PDF exonerates me from their claim that I was speeding. But I was wondering if there's any data that Tesla records that shows road conditions (traffic, signal lights, etc.) that could disprove their claim that I ran a red light. I don't know if this is something that we can get since we pay for road visualization and also paid for AP/FSD as well. But if this is something obtainable, has anyone went through the process of getting Tesla to release this data?

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
Sorry this happened to you. Thankfully your not injured. Other than dashcam I don't know of any other way to obtain this info.

Tesla, to my knowledge, only collects traffic data like congestion which is presented on the navigation.

This type of situation is why so many folks have dash cams. Even if it was just you and the other driver the best you could hope for us equal fault because it would be your word against theirs. Everyone should have a dash cam for this reason.

You need to try and find another witness to the collision.

Sorry this happened to you. Thankfully your not injured. Other than dashcam I don't know of any other way to obtain this info.

Tesla, to my knowledge, only collects traffic data like congestion which is presented on the navigation.

This type of situation is why so many folks have dash cams. Even if it was just you and the other driver the best you could hope for us equal fault because it would be your word against theirs. Everyone should have a dash cam for this reason.

You need to try and find another witness to the collision.
Yeah, definitely upset about the no dashcam footage. I had the Dashcam set to Auto (thinking that it would trigger if ever in an accident to learn the hard way), and was not aware of how to get the last hour of dashcam stored until they had loaded the car up onto the tow truck and wouldn't allow me access.

Once the car is back I'm setting it to "ON" and just recording everything, and possibly putting in a larger drive (don't know how necessary that is).

As far as other witnesses, there was no one in the oncoming lane from the offending driver, no one behind me, and it was a small-ish area late at night so no pedestrians. I did look at the closed businesses in the area to see if they had cameras pointing near the intersection and nothing. No red light camera there either.

There was a barbershop on the corner that did appear to have a doorbell camera that could've captured it, but when I inquired, it was a dummy camera.

So it really is my word against him and the passenger.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC