Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non approved body shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla will not supply any parts or support to a non tesla authorized body shop
That's what I originally thought, but when I asked a Tesla rep, he said as long as it's not a structural repair, they will sell parts and work with a non-certified shop. Granted I have been given plenty of bogus information by Tesla employees, so take this with a grain of salt.

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
All true. I got an estimate for some body work from a non-certified shop, but one that was approved by my insurance company. Their hourly rate was great, but they could not get any structural parts. They were on track, but one part was considered a structural part and it was not available from Tesla to them. Most everything else was available. So, they CAN do non structural repairs.

• Informative
No. My car had minor damage back In February from a deer suicide. Given that it only needed a new hood, headlight , and bumper cover , I tried to use a local non certified body shop . The nearest certified body shop is 200 miles away. The Nashville service center said they would sell parts to the local body shop. Sadly , this was more misinformation from Tesla . The local body was unable to get parts after multiple calls and emails.
My car finally went to a certified shop in April . Body shop didn't want the car until they had the parts they thought needed to fix the car. My car is still not fixed as the body shop is waiting on some plastic bracket needed under the bumper. This is 4 months later .

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
No. My car had minor damage back In February from a deer suicide. Given that it only needed a new hood, headlight , and bumper cover , I tried to use a local non certified body shop . The nearest certified body shop is 200 miles away. The Nashville service center said they would sell parts to the local body shop. Sadly , this was more misinformation from Tesla . The local body was unable to get parts after multiple calls and emails.
My car finally went to a certified shop in April . Body shop didn't want the car until they had the parts they thought needed to fix the car. My car is still not fixed as the body shop is waiting on some plastic bracket needed under the bumper. This is 4 months later .
How long total have you been without your Tesla? Mine was in the shop for three weeks, and that was painful enough.

How long total have you been without your Tesla? Mine was in the shop for three weeks, and that was painful enough.

I've only been without the car for a month. I dropped it off in Charlotte at the end of April . It was driveable without autopilot which is part of the reason why I let the non certified shop try to figure out how to get parts for about a month . Then it was 2 months of the certified shop ordering parts and getting my car into their schedule .
According to the certified shop, the car is painted and ready now except for the bracket that is unavailable with no eta.

Ha! A deer committed suicide on my MS as well, but on the best coast! It took me a month just dealing with my insurance company. I wound up going to ALL of the Tesla approved body shops in the Seattle area. Then, when I took it in, it took them exactly a month before I got it back. Front hood, front driver quarter panel, and then some internal stuff in there. One of the body shops (that I didn't pick) told me to expect to be down for two to three months. The other approved shop said it would probably be three weeks. Like I say, it was four weeks.

• Informative
Ha! A deer committed suicide on my MS as well, but on the best coast! It took me a month just dealing with my insurance company. I wound up going to ALL of the Tesla approved body shops in the Seattle area. Then, when I took it in, it took them exactly a month before I got it back. Front hood, front driver quarter panel, and then some internal stuff in there. One of the body shops (that I didn't pick) told me to expect to be down for two to three months. The other approved shop said it would probably be three weeks. Like I say, it was four weeks.
What insurance company? Was it difficult to get them to pay the certified shop's rates?

What insurance company? Was it difficult to get them to pay the certified shop's rates?

I had Safeco. I went to a non-certified shop and let Safeco discover that they were unapproved, and then I went to all three of the local Washington approved shops, and wrote a long letter to Safeco citing the Better Business Bureau ratings (phony paid for ratings) and the Yelp ratings (lots of them from customers - hard to fake) and by having three estimates, I added everything that was unique to all three to come up with a composite repair list. And, no, I didn't have any troubles after that.

Non-Tesla body shops can frequently (sometimes?) get non structural parts like bumper covers and the like. As long as they are a competent shop then it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Yes, my first body shop (non-approved local shop) was able to get everything except for one part, which was the one that was ruled as a structural part. Tesla simply refused to sell them that one. The other parts were no problem.

Non-Tesla body shops can frequently (sometimes?) get non structural parts like bumper covers and the like. As long as they are a competent shop then it shouldn't be an issue at all.
I was wondering about that. I need to replace my rear bumper cover, but it has sensors in it. Will Tesla void the warranty on the sensors if I don't have a certified shop do the repair?

I was wondering about that. I need to replace my rear bumper cover, but it has sensors in it. Will Tesla void the warranty on the sensors if I don't have a certified shop do the repair?
Ultrasonic sensors are nothing new, any body shop should be able to handle them competently. Tesla can't legally void your warranty for having the car repaired or serviced at a non-authorized shop without showing that the original damage or the repair caused the failure.

I also wouldn't worry about it because the sensors are unlikely to break to begin with..

Ultrasonic sensors are nothing new, any body shop should be able to handle them competentlly

Any competent body shop should have been able to fix the damage to my car if they could get the parts . According to the certified shop that my car is at now , they can't get a bracket that holds the bumper to the fender and a bracket for the radar sensor. There is no eta as of today for 2 different 99 cent parts . I saw the bracket for the ap1 radar unit after it broke . It's a cheap pos Plastic part .

I have a small scrape on the rear door that is not through the paint but the adjuster saw a very, very small dent. I will bring it to a Tesla approved shop for a quote this week but it's a pain. I'm tempted to also bring it to a non-approved shop since it's just likely paint but I'm concerned about matching the new midnight silver metallic. Any thoughts?

The insurance adjuster's estimate includes 15 hours of body labor and 7 hours of paint labor - I hope he was just being generous because of the rates charged by Tesla approved shops.