Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NON-Autopilot near collision today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post on TMC.

I have a 2013 85S. I was driving to work 5:30AM today in San Jose, CA. 70mph. No traffic at all. I was in exit lane (long, 1 mile exit ramp.) Someone pulled right next to me. I thought a crash was inevitable. I slammed on the brakes, assume ABS kicked in. Tesla pulled me right towards the wall on my right, shaking and rattling. I was able to FORCE the steering wheel back towards the left to avoid the wall, car again pulled me toward wall, this time at slower speed. Whole thing continued for 8-10 maneuvers. I started a tailspin but I think the ~~~~~~ motion kept me out of a full spin. I was definitely ready for impact with the wall, just wanted to hit at a slower speed, but somehow managed to avoid. Still not sure how. Anybody ever have a similar braking experience? Definitely frazzled. Called tech support to pull data. Any input appreciated.
thanks!
Carla Carvalho, Palo Alto, CA

This is my first post on TMC.

I have a 2013 85S. I was driving to work 5:30AM today in San Jose, CA. 70mph. No traffic at all. I was in exit lane (long, 1 mile exit ramp.) Someone pulled right next to me. I thought a crash was inevitable. I slammed on the brakes, assume ABS kicked in. Tesla pulled me right towards the wall on my right, shaking and rattling. I was able to FORCE the steering wheel back towards the left to avoid the wall, car again pulled me toward wall, this time at slower speed. Whole thing continued for 8-10 maneuvers. I started a tailspin but I think the ~~~~~~ motion kept me out of a full spin. I was definitely ready for impact with the wall, just wanted to hit at a slower speed, but somehow managed to avoid. Still not sure how. Anybody ever have a similar braking experience? Definitely frazzled. Called tech support to pull data. Any input appreciated.
thanks!
Carla Carvalho, Palo Alto, CA

That sounds terrible. Please do have your vehicle's alignment checked. It shouldn't pull hard to one side under heavy braking assuming the road surface is even and smooth. It could be the road that causes the issue too. It should shudder.

I've always made it a point to test really hard braking once a year or so... go to a really big, empty parking lot and in the rain, slam on the brakes and feel the anti-lock braking kick in.

Reactions: Pdub2015
Hey Carla-C, glad you made it through that. Good job on avoiding an accident! From what you describe, it does sound like your car's front end is out of alignment, or you may have a braking bias imbalance. Suggest you take your car to get checked out right away.

I was able to FORCE the steering wheel back towards the left to avoid the wall, car again pulled me toward wall, this time at slower speed. Whole thing continued for 8-10 maneuvers. I started a tailspin but I think the ~~~~~~ motion kept me out of a full spin.

Regardless of if there is anything wrong with the car, I think you should definitely take a performance driving course. The car is not an appliance.

The shaking is the anti-lock brakes pulsing and normal, it's what preserved your ability to steer the car. As @techmaven suggested, it's good to experience that under controlled conditions, like a wet parking lot. Crank up the speed, smash the brakes hard and then steer the car to get a feel for what happens. Though you obviously just experienced it!

In any case, congratulations on maintaining control and avoiding an accident. Well done.

Reactions: Pdub2015
If your front wheels were pointed straight ahead when you "slammed" on the brakes at 70, your car should have tracked straight as it slowed. Pulling to either side is evidence of problem with alignment, brakes, tire inflation or a combination of these.

However, if your wheels were turned when you did this, well.... totally different story. You said you were in an exit lane, was it straight or curving?

I assume in addition to hitting the brakes you moved to one side to avoid the car next to you. Is it possible you put a tire off the pavement into a soft shoulder or worse, grass and dirt? Putting a tire off a sharp-edged road into dirt could produce the symptoms you report. If this is what happened I'm sure it was unavoidable due to the other car.

As others have said, if you have never experienced ABS braking, then either take a driving course, or go to a BIG open parking lot on a weekend with no cars and stomp on the brakes. You did not say how old you were. I have taught BMW driving courses in the past, and ABS braking is one of the largest learning curves for people - especially those who have been driving for some time. Pumping the brakes is what most people try to do, but with ABS braking and stability control, it not what you want to do. You want to mash on the brakes and steer the car.

Glad everything came out ok. As others have said, take the car in for evaluation just to make sure the alignment and brakes are within spec.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200