Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-chill acceleration mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use chill mode because otherwise I just have to impress fellow road users with my rear spoiler. Having never had a performance car in this league before I only use it (sport mode) on occasion. Seems a waste I know, but I rather like having the stealth speed potential that the car emits if you are in the know

Last edited:
Had my dual motor since August, and I still scare myself a little whenever I floor it, which is never for more than 3 seconds. My previous 3 cars have all been 0-60 in 6.5 to 7.5 territory, so not slow at all, but it's a process to get to full acceleration. In the Model 3 it's just a thought, straight from calm to crazy with zero time to prepare.
One of these days, I will try out chill mode, maybe when I have a nervous passenger.

Happy to report that I've become acclimatised to the standard acceleration mode and don't plan on going back to chill mode. Even in stop/start traffic and 20mph zones it's pretty comfortable.

I am very glad I had it in chill mode on collection day though. I almost had a mishap by reversing quite fast which probably would not have ended well otherwise!

Reactions: Adopado and Smiddy
Very happy chilling out. No desire for anything quicker - those days are long gone. Car is hardly a slouch in chill and will still leave pretty much anything else in its wake. Already too many people hooning around on our roads.
Got our model 3 about 10 weeks ago, and it has been kept in chill mode - I'd actually like Tesla to offer super-chill baby mode for rear facing passengers (toddlers and babies) as otherwise any slightly aggressive acceleration can flop their heads down onto their chests

(This reminds me, I need to try "Joe Mode" since reading elsewhere on the forum that it tones down the bing bong noises which otherwise wake up sleeping children)

Got our model 3 about 10 weeks ago, and it has been kept in chill mode - I'd actually like Tesla to offer super-chill baby mode for rear facing passengers (toddlers and babies) as otherwise any slightly aggressive acceleration can flop their heads down onto their chests

I am somewhat baffled by this. My car is almost never in chill mode ... yet it can crawl through a car park at 0.1 mph and then increase speed imperceptibly to 2 mph as I drive towards the exit. I can then then accelerate into an adjacent road with super smooth gradual acceleration to a heady 20mph or if busy with traffic I can leap into a gap very smartly indeed! All this is achieved with the adjustment of my right foot. The car can be driven as slowly and smoothly in standard mode as in chill mode. (Maybe the sensitivity of the accelerator in a Performance is different... I don't know... but I am referring to the SR+.)

My S P100D is permenantly in Ludicrous and I can modulate it fine. Chilled is rubbish.
Nissan Leaf had an eco version of chilled. Equally annoying.
Both do the same thing, they just dull the throttle response.
If you need superchilled try trainers instead of diving boots :)

I used Chill mode once in the 3 months that I've had my M3LR. I switched it off before I left the carpark.

Years of riding 1000cc sportsbikes has helped to modulate throttle control, but I can't say that the M3 is particularly sensitive or difficult to use. I would suggest that you should spend some time learning how to be smooth the the pedal. Pay attention to your foot position.

Moving gently is no problem. You'll know when you have nailed it when you can feel the front motor "cogging" slightly at the gentlest of pedal applications at walking pace.

Clearly "chill" mode is very controversial to some, judging my my very innocuous remark from 15 months ago causing someone to get very annoyed by it all this time later. Very bizarre, and strangely not the first time something completely innocuous has attracted some ire.

FWIW, I tried chill mode before my wife first drove the car, as she was a bit nervous and I wanted to reassure her. Seemed OK, perhaps useful for those just getting used to driving an EV for the first time, but she quickly got used to it and, like me, just left it in the normal mode. The accelerator seems easy to modulate on the Model 3, IMHO, plus it seems reassuring to have that greater responsiveness available if needed.

Reactions: Adopado
I thought chill mode just changes the throttle response curve, or is it also throttle limited at 100%?

It would be great to have the option to customise the curve, that's nothing to do with skill whatsoever as it's just personal preference.

Reactions: MrBadger
For those who have driven a car with a racy cam, revving and slipping the clutch to avoid stalling ... well ... driving a Tesla is a simple joy whatever the setting, smooth as butter and faster than that rally special to boot!

Absolutely! The thing that first really convinced me that EVs were the way forward was that combination of loads of torque and the instant response. Back when I tuned up cars for a bit of weekend racing it was always a compromise between being easy to drive and having maximum power. An EV seems like being able to have your cake and eat it!

Reactions: Jez_GB and Adopado
I thought chill mode just changes the throttle response curve, or is it also throttle limited at 100%?

It would be great to have the option to customise the curve, that's nothing to do with skill whatsoever as it's just personal preference.

It does limit total power apparently. Tweaking the curve (but also keeping max power availability) sounds interesting but I think you risk ending up with a nice gradual phase of throttle initially but then the power band is compressed into a smaller range further up the range so may make the transition to full power more sudden so less predictable... just my thoughts.

Be interesting to drive the same route in chill mode and standard mode, then compare the data from something like Teslamate. If I can think of a legitimate (and legal!) excuse to go out for a drive I might try it, perhaps pick a straight stretch of road, accelerate as hard as possible until reaching the speed limit and seeing what the power and time difference looks like on the graph.

Regarding my wish for a super chill baby mode:
I am somewhat baffled by this.
Well, the issue will sort it self out as children grow up quickly. Perhaps one of those rear head rest mirrors would help, as right now it is hard to know when I have accelerated too fast. However, right now even the chill mode cruise control acceleration is too much.

Our Leaf is normally in eco mode, but there the button on the steering wheel makes it really easy to toggle if expect to need power (e.g. on the slip road to join a motorway/dual carriageway), or you can still floor the accelerator. However, for now the Tesla model 3 chill mode acceleration is more than enough for my current driving style.

Be interesting to drive the same route in chill mode and standard mode, then compare the data from something like Teslamate. If I can think of a legitimate (and legal!) excuse to go out for a drive I might try it, perhaps pick a straight stretch of road, accelerate as hard as possible until reaching the speed limit and seeing what the power and time difference looks like on the graph.

Interesting! I read of people doing (simple) range tests with EVs in eco or chill modes versus standard or sport modes and finding that if they drove at the same speeds there was no difference in efficiency ... which makes sense to me ... it only makes a difference if you make use of the extra power available.

Our Leaf is normally in eco mode, but there the button on the steering wheel makes it really easy to toggle if expect to need power (e.g. on the slip road to join a motorway/dual carriageway), or you can still floor the accelerator. However, for now the Tesla model 3 chill mode acceleration is more than enough for my current driving style.

When I had a Leaf I once accidentally caught the Eco button without realising I'd done so, I thought the car was broken.