Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-Controversial/Disputable Tesla Misses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A difference of one-half of a second over 1/4 mile? Who cares? The vast majority of people buy cars to drive on city streets and highways, not race tracks.

As others have already mentioned, anyone who paid the premium for that 10.9 second capability would care in the event of a difference of that magnitude.

But there are also those such as myself, who are fans of Tesla and who have track experience with ICE vehicles and want to see Tesla make an even more profound performance statement than they did with the P85D. We also care.

Dare I say, even some of those in the above category of Tesla enthusiasts, but with no track experience, quite possibly also care.

How about promising a battery upgrade for Roadster owners and after accepting deposits we find the upgrade is not possible for the first generation of owners. Despite many questions nothing has been communicated from Tesla. What will potential buyers say when the batteries begin to wear out with no plan B?

There's no such thing as "Hardware Upgrades" for people who bought the pre-paid service plan before 2015. False advertising treading on fraud.

I dunno. I just had the driver's seat replaced with the new style seats (not the next gen seats, the new-type regular seats). All the folks who sat in my car during the shows I attended caused one of the springs to break. I don't call this a problem as some of the people barely fit--even in the exit position. I've had a minimum of 2500 people sit in the driver's seat. (Minimum calculation: 40 shows per year, 25 people per show, 2.5 years)

I dunno. I just had the driver's seat replaced with the new style seats (not the next gen seats, the new-type regular seats). All the folks who sat in my car during the shows I attended caused one of the springs to break. I don't call this a problem as some of the people barely fit--even in the exit position. I've had a minimum of 2500 people sit in the driver's seat. (Minimum calculation: 40 shows per year, 25 people per show, 2.5 years)

Assuming you are still under warranty, that would have been covered as a warranty repair even if you didn't have the pre-paid service plan with "hardware upgrades" since that is the stock that is available today (your original seats are no longer available). I think Hank is talking about hardware upgrades that otherwise would have been paid retrofits for people who didn't have the pre-paid service plan.

Assuming you are still under warranty, that would have been covered as a warranty repair even if you didn't have the pre-paid service plan with "hardware upgrades" since that is the stock that is available today (your original seats are no longer available). I think Hank is talking about hardware upgrades that otherwise would have been paid retrofits for people who didn't have the pre-paid service plan.

Some companies keep a warranty stock of older parts so that there can be an exact replacement rather than an upgrade replacement.

Agreed. I always envisioned things like the LTE upgrade to be part of the "hardware upgrades" clause.

Some companies keep a warranty stock of older parts so that there can be an exact replacement rather than an upgrade replacement.

Yes, but we are also talking about 1.0 seats that were replaced with nearly identical 1.5 seats over a year ago. Given that they are both "standard" and are essentially the same, and are completely just a drop in replacement, I'm sure many would feel it's equivalent once the old stock was exhausted. Now, if they dropped in next-gen seats, then I could see your point.

Yes, but we are also talking about 1.0 seats that were replaced with nearly identical 1.5 seats over a year ago. Given that they are both "standard" are essentially the same, and are completely just a drop in replacement, I'm sure many would fee it's equivalent. Now, if they dropped in next-gen seats, then I could see your point.

You're probably right. However, I had a loaner with next gen seats, and you have to be skinny to find them comfortable.

Douglas,
Let's call it a learning exercise for me. I see something like a quoted 1/4 mile time miss by a half second as a huge deal. How could anyone possibly disagree? Well, they can and do so it is removed from the list. I learned something.

Its amazing that anyone can see that as anything other than a huge miss. I get that people think that it is foolish to spend the money to buy an extremely fast car when they can already get a pretty damn fast car for much less. But I don't see how anyone can imagine that they can charge a huge premium for nothing more than performance improvements and fail to deliver them without it being a serious problem. I'm still holding out some hope that we do see the car achieve the advertised performance, but I'm certainly quite concerned.

I think the lighted vanity mirrors is a pretty clear miss that can't really be disputed.

If being late on promised dates is a valid issue, there are quite a few of those.

You're probably right. However, I had a loaner with next gen seats, and you have to be skinny to find them comfortable.

Yes, a next-gen seat replacement for a 1.0, 1.1, or 1.5 gen seat is not equivalent. Putting in a 1.5 seat for a 1.0 or 1.1 seat is (IMO). My drive unit was just replaced and the motor mount had to be upgraded to current spec. That was a warranty change even though the mount was "upgraded". Small tweaks like that should be expected with replacements.

Is thread really necessary?

I like it and here is why. As the customer, we gave Tesla a chance by taking a risk on new piece of technology. We had zero expectations other than the ones they set. This thread should serve as a way to remind Tesla that they are the ones who set our expectations, therefore they are the ones that need to adjust them in order to succeed. Whether it's HP or 1/4 mile times or release dates, just be honest; we like Tesla. But only if they don't squander our good will. Because if they squander enough of it, we'll go elsewhere. However, if they meet the expectations they set, we will literally be customers for life.

I didn't go through all the past posts so this might already have been covered.

Clear miss IMHO is the stability management software. It's god awful intrusive. I can barely take a corner without the damn thing cutting power. (I'm overstating it, but it sucks)

Geez, where do we want to start with this and how far back to you want to go? Someone already mentioned the vanity mirror lights. What about onboard music storage? Delivery dates on ... everything? Model S was delayed. X was delayed.

On the other hand, I get free roaming in Canada when I travel there, free connectivity for 4 years (and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being longer). Many service items that get charged to goodwill. Proactive notification of 12V failure and service in my driveway so I don't need to take the car in. The list goes much longer than that.

The balance of screw-ups to added benefits is acceptable to me.